Community Activity and Overview
The Forvo and Pronunciation instant answer are currently not working and the community is beginning to holler. Check out the issue to see if you can lend a hand. As always, there's plenty of great activity below to dive into:
- Conversions: Support for "oz to ml" queries
Our conversions Instant Answer is always growing, and it will soon support "oz to ml" queries.
- IndeedJobs: Reliable triggering on different job queries
Triggering Indeed on regexp was not as flexible as we wanted it to be, so we decided to trigger it using the SERP links.
- Stocks: Move to a different data source
YCharts is deprecating their API, so we'll soon be using Xignite as our primary source.
- Airlines: Move to FlightStats API
We've been using a similar API internally before, but it just recently got deprecated.
- GetEvents: Fix timezone issue
We were getting the wrong timezone from the API occasionally.
- Forecast: Remove old meta text attributes
We can finally deprecate the shim that we had to support the old naming of the properties now that this is in!
New Instant Answer Ideas:
- Similar Books and Movies
It would be cool if we can recommend similar books and movies to people.
- Tallest Buildings
List the tallest places in a certain city.
- NYC Subways
Give information about subway times and locations.
- GetEvents: Should trigger on "events nearby" as well
Other variations of "events near me" should trigger this Instant Answer.
- Transit Switzerland: API not always providing platform
Sometimes the API response can be incomplete which results in a broken-looking UI.
- Currency: Change signal to high for better triggering
Simply add "signal: 'high'" to get the Currency IA to show up first.
- Revive Forvo
Help us get the Forvo Instant Answer up and running again!
- Revive LOLCAT
There's a bunch of code written for this already, but there are a few remaining issues. See if you can fix those issues!
- Time: Should support timezone lookups
Searches like "PDT time", "Time in ET", "Eastern Standard Time" should all show the time for the given timezone.
Have a good weekend, everyone!
- The DuckDuckHack Staff