yegg
> When is DuckDuckGo going public?  

Haha,  you need like 100M+ regular revenues for that, so I doubt any time soon.

> Why aren't VCs investing in it, yet?  You hear about search engines that start and raise huge amounts of funding.  

Because I've never sought any funding. Yes, many have raised lots of money, but it hasn't gotten them very far. In fact, it may have accelerated their downfall (or perhaps they go hand in hand--not sure). In any case, the reason is there isn't a great way to buy users so the only reason to raise is to buy headcount, and I don't need that at the moment when you weigh it against all the problems with raising money (distraction, loss of control, etc.). 

> Can DuckDuckGo be the first search engine that doesn't raise venture funding and grow to be a large search engine?  

I hope so!
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 10 months ago Link

anonymous
Interesting how you think there isn't an easy way to buy users, yet you can certainly market to them through advertising and build more features to gain traction.  I'm wondering about loss of control, and how much control other search engine sites lost when they raised funding.  You do raise some good points though.
posted by [Old Forum eric.leebow] • 7 years and 10 months ago Link