anonymous
Why can't they do a Kickstarter or something.  I want some shares of DuckDuckGo now before it goes public or something.  I love it.  I think its a fantastic idea whose time has come.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 7 months ago Link

anonymous
Me too!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
There is a reason you cannot easily invest in a private company. Most people simply do not have the skill or experience to even begin to guess whether a small company like DDG is likely to succeed, or even whether a company you are interested in is cooking the books.

Public companies are required to follow a more stringent set of rules by the SEC. They must file regular financial statements with the SEC with a particular format and they are required to follow a more stringent set of rules than private companies (e.g. inside trading, transparency, etc). None of this guarantees that you'll be fine (investing in the market is fundamentally risky and difficult), but it gives the general public a bit more of a fighting chance.

In turn, because of all the SEC requirements, including base capital, small companies are not public. The "small" category for the SEC requires something like $100 M in base capita or something like that.

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 4 months ago Link