anonymous
Something that I use in addition to Ghostery, AdBlock Plus, and HTTPS Everywhere on Firefox is Collusion.

From the Mozilla addon page:
"Collusion is an experimental add-on for Firefox that allows you to see which sites are using third-party cookies to track your movements across the Web. It shows, in real time, how that data creates a spider-web of interaction between companies and other trackers."

I like to use this so I can see which sites (even after using the above) I still get reffered to. For the most part, hot linking is the main cause, but it does help to understand what is actually being sent without pulling out tcpdump.

Also, for Flash cookies, I just disable them all together. To do this, it is simply a matter of right clicking on a flash object, selecting global options, and then selecting "Block all sites from storing information on this computer" from the Storage Tab. Note: That is for Linux (not sure about others).

There is also an option to have flash ask before storing, but if you watch videos on Hulu, YouTube, CNN, or others you'll get pestered all the time.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 8 months ago Link