anonymous
I went to the page to see if it would be a good recommendation for my not-so-techie friends. Probably like many other folks who visited here.

Many folks who have this issue near top of mind surf with JavaScript turned off. (see the endorsements for NoScript) so when we hit the page we are greeted with this text:

It looks like you have JavaScript disabled and this page requires it to work properly. We'd like to show you some great resources for managing privacy on the web but you'll first need to enable JavaScript in your browser.
I think that you should acknowledge non-scripters in this text. Perhaps something like:

It looks like you have JavaScript disabled and this page requires it to work properly. While we congratulate you on your choice to surf safely by turning off scripting, we'd still like to show you some other great resources for managing privacy on the web. So perhaps you could enable JavaScript in your browser.

It would be a good way to make friends with the sorts of people who are most likely to share this page.

Thanks for your efforts

Zip

P.S. Here is my current regime:
Firefox
NoScript
Ghostery
AdBlock Plus (with extensive whitelist)
Hosts file
Beef Taco
Better Privacy (with Ghostery conflicts resolved)
Google Analytics Opt-out
Flashblock
Facebook Disconnect
Twitter Disconnect
Google Advertising Cookie Opt-out
HTTPS Everywhere
Collusion

Of course, all of these add-ons, combined with my screen size, color depth etc, makes Panopticlick tell me that my browser is unique. Oops!

And, yes, I use a completely naked version of Opera when a site refuses to work.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 6 months ago Link