anonymous
If I could always have my way, I'd nominate my favourite programming language, which is Ruby (you are probably unhappy about this as the language is very similar to Perl and Ruby is taking all the Perl people's jobs). Maybe KDE e.V. as well, the software of which I adore, but the fact is, it's not going to be getting into many people's hands anytime soon. As for LibreOffice - although I see the existence of a competitor in the digital office space as critical, the UI is simply too clunky. The concept needs a complete redesign from the ground up as Microsoft did with its Ribbon or Calligra Suite with its interesting tabbed interface.

But in retrospect... I think Ruby is not as important - it's just another programming language, and, while it is definitely one of the best general-purpose ones, they come a dime a dozen and while awesomely designed, it won't affect many people. The Ruby core team is well paid as it is after all.

So I'm going to put my arm out to OpenStreetMap.
MapQuest Open, the results of which actually show up in DDG, uses this data. The Wikimedia Foundation honestly doesn't need our money anymore, though its efforts to finally bring up MediaWiki to the TWiki/Foswiki standard are finally paying off (partially thanks to the people's money). The OSM foundation though, certainly does. Your car could be depending on OSM data one day - in fact, many navigation systems already use it. You definitely want it to be the best data available. It could mean your life, or at least, being late to a meeting! I actually use this instead of the unfortunately venerable Google Maps for my mother, who absolutely cannot get the grip of local geography (streets and stuff) and is guided by shops and landmarks instead.

I think that's the most important one. It could change, even save lives. Nothing more important than when software affects people in the real world in very tangible ways. The lack of trap streets is nice too.

Beyond OSM, which is by far and away my first pick for a nomination, I'd suggest either the Blender Foundation which could transform the CGI industry (and several professional studios already use the software!), or the Apache Software Foundation, though I'm a bit wary of the latter due to sometimes managing relations with projects quite poorly and their sucking up to proprietary companies.

Anyway, your CSR policy is very nice yegg. When you have an audience that understands what open source actually means (and not 'anyone can go in and mess up your code', like the popular belief goes), CSR of this type really seems to work. I at least have mentioned this to a couple of people. I like the idea of CSR relating directly to a company's performance (e.g if you invest in the ASF, you get a better Apache Server - or well, nginx in your case though that's a commercial company now). It certainly makes it seem more than a desperate attempt to cover up a bad image (and tell you what - DDG has always been doing this type of CSR and besides I've never seen it get bad press on its tenets of privacy and the like). Keep up the good work and make the search engine better for a better world.
posted by [Old Forum evropi] • 5 years and 2 months ago Link