anonymous
I would much like a donation to the Wikimedia Foundation. Wikipedia is easily the largest volunteer-run project on the internet, with far more man-hours put into it than the Linux kernel for instance.

There are several changes being made to Wikimedia infrastructure. One of the problems is how slow the service is in Asia for instance. In Indonesia, it can take even 30 seconds to get a change edited in in an article.

Imagine your life without Wikipedia. It's an integral part of the internet and this is reflected nowhere better than in the DuckDuckGo search engine where the box at the top almost always has an enwiki link. And wikis are huge in general, with most websites running on the Wikimedia-developed (but open source, naturally) MediaWiki, including the notable Wikia which is a commercial venture by Jimmy Wales.

Such a donation would definitely help with popularity among Wikipedians (and others, like Wiktionary which is what I mostly contribute to) who are very ethics-conscious among other thing and would certainly increase uptake of both DDG amongst the community but also FOSS, because the WM Foundation has done lots of work for it and continues to do so.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link

anonymous
I am of the idea of investing into an alternative to JAVA since its use is being restricted due to a change in the licence from what I hear. This alternative is openJDK which is the open-source version of Java.

I do not think donating money to individual distributions is a good investment since there are so many. Who do you donate to? Who is more worthy than the next distro.? Also I do not understand why some people still hanker about Wind compatibility. Linux is Linux and there is enough compatibility in most areas thanks to Linux application developers. If people are interested in PC  games they should get a Wind machine however for everything else use Linux. We do not need a Wind clone, Linux related developers should be innovation.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 6 years and 4 months ago Link