anonymous
If there ever will be a DDG browser, I - a random person from the Internet - won't be using it. I use my browser as a document viewer application, not as a "cool lifestyle app", so I choose that application based on its features, not a brand name. Also, having a browser tied to a web search company screams of conflict of interests like nothing else, so that's another obvious "hands off" right there.

Same as I wouldn't ever touch a browser from Google (which I, actually, kind of did and it's been a horrible, clunky and messy experience, rather short luckily), I won't be interested in a DuckDuckGo browser, nor Bing browser, nor Facebook browser, nor any other hip browser of the week that a random Internet company decides to put out by quickly rebranding an open source code base (in most cases excl. Google's, without even having a single actual professional software developer to keep maintaining it any further).

Personally, I see a "DDG browser" eventually ending up like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL_Explorer

Just spare us, the anonymous DDG users, the shame of having to experience it. Just keep DDG what it is and why people love it in the first place. Start catering to the "facebook audiences" and "playing it hip" and people that made the (fair) success of DDG until now possible will quickly flock to the next "clean" DDG.

Lastly, on the same negative note: Nobody but a bunch of confused fanboys gives a damn about a DDG browser, because surprisingly, everyone already has one. Yes, it's kind of a shocking fact.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 5 years and 11 months ago Link

zac
Duly noted --until that last paragraph. Out of respect for OP, let's try to stick to the forum rules ("Be nice"). Through the feedback we get, the most common reason that people want a DDG Browser is trust. We've always stood by our privacy policy and made users, user-experience, and user privacy our top priorities. Until this point, there hasn't really been a (product) company with a total dedication to respecting privacy, that's gone on to develop a fully functional browser. Tor is a great option but, for many people, it's an, "advanced" option or too slow (in its current state--mainly because not everyone sets up their computer to be a relay *cough *cough). Personally, I think if we were in a position to develop a browser, it would be a welcome product for a lot of people. Sticking to the same DDG principles--less clutter, more privacy--and integrated with instant answers, !bang tags, etc---it would make an awesome browser : ) Not everyone would adopt it but many might find that it's a good choice for them.

Here's a list of privacy-focused browsers. Some may have limited functionality or be a subscription service but it's the best list I could pull together: 

Tor         
SurfEasy                  
Cloudnymous               
ArmorSurf                   

-Zac

DuckDuckGo Community Manager 

posted by zac Staff5 years and 11 months ago Link