yegg
Here's something I just thought of :). Now that the favicons appear much more, it is sort of obvious when they don't appear. It might be nice to have a very subtle default favicon so everything appears like it lines up. Any ideas?

One idea I think is interesting is the chrome default for when an image breaks.

To see that, open chrome and go to http://duckduckgo.com/Test_(assessment) -- the third and fifth links down appear as subtle squares (at least on my browser).
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 7 months ago Link

anonymous
A subtle square or generic document icon (blank sheet of paper, like this: ) would work, I think.
posted by [Old Forum mrmagical] • 7 years and 7 months ago Link
yegg
You can see what that looks like right now on http://tmbg.duckduckgo.com -- seems a bit too distracting to me, and document may imply more of a document than a Web page. Something more subtle/less specific/more generic?
anonymous
It's easy to use an icon with less contrast:
Both Firefox and Chrome use this kind of icon for sites without a favicon.
A sheet of paper is also commonly used as an icon for unidentified file types.

A globe is often used to symbolise the Internet and could be used by itself or with the document base:

One could use a chains or something which looks a bit like a webpage , but that would feel... weird?

A simple square would be fine, too.

Of course there could be better ideas, these are just some quick thoughts.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Hahaha, oh wow. It logged me out while I was typing.
yegg
The light contrast ones seem to work the best. I have it up on tmbg right now. Let me know if you want me to try anything else.
anonymous
It's better than the icon with more contrast or no icon at all.
It doesn't draw too much attention and says nothing more than 'this is a link without a real favicon'.

And uh, the icon is stolen from the Fugue set (I just picked it because I have a copy of the whole set uploaded) which is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0.

I could just draw a custom one to avoid having to put a link back (after all, it's just a sheet of paper).
yegg
Cool--I think it is worth experimenting with on on the live site.