anonymous
I just redid the homepage with ids and updated the style.css on github. Let me know if I missed anything that would make your life easier.

I would like to go with the new button. I think it draws attention to the go aspect and looks more like a button. It also uses the green well.

I'm fine with the rounded corners not working on IE.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 1 month ago Link

anonymous
Lovely. I just changed the selectors a bit to match the IDs and now it works perfectly.

The search field on the homepage became 15 pixels wider because it now uses the same style as the one on the results page, but I'm fine with that.
yegg
I was just experimenting with the wider search field, but now in the morning I could see it perhaps being too wide. Thoughts?
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
(Guest above yegg13's reply is me)

Yeah, it looks a bit too wide compared to the logo. Around 200% of the logo width + 50% of the search field height would look nice. (200*2+38/2=417px)

As for the logo, Mr. Eaves Modern looks very... regular and not exciting.
Mr. Eaves has has a nice 'tail' on the 'u'. It makes me think of the letter 'Q' when placed next to the 'D' in 'Duck'. 'Quck' -> 'Quack'/'Quick'

Futura is, as I said, a quite modernistic font which would fit in great together with the duck icon. It feels more modern than Mr. Eaves, but doesn't look like a regular font, like Mr. Eaves Modern. Futura is also a font I already have.

I have been experimenting with some different layouts, colours and styles.
The text 'Go' would benefit from slightly lighter colour:

Other than that, I'm pleased with the current design.

...and here's an idea for promotional material I came up with while experimenting (totally unrelated):

posted by [Old Forum mrmagical] • 8 years and 1 month ago Link
yegg
I'm having a bit of trouble integrating the userstyle into the homepage correctly. See: http://thor.duckduckgo.com/.

What am I doing wrong?

It's probably a good idea to separate the internal and homepage search boxes and make the widths a bit different.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Just float the button to the right (Add float: right; to #sb).

To separate the internal and homepage search boxes, all you have to do is add #t in front of selectors for the homepage and #c in front of selectors for internal pages.

Also, I wouldn't recommend having the button image embedded into the stylesheet (Compatibility, etc.).
Here it is for easy saving:

anonymous
Awesome. I guess I just missed that float line :)

I've been wondering about the embedded images but haven't looked into compatibility issues. Looking it up now...guess it is another IE problem. Go figure...

#t & #c duh! Thx.

I find the promotional material interesting, but not sure of its use. You mean to put like on a header or something for a brochure, or did you have specific text/images in mind to place around it?
anonymous
I actually don't have Futura. Is there an easy way to get it or embed it in that particular file?
anonymous
Font embedding should work for Illustrator 9 or higher (Any CS- version).
Would you like me to add the font to all logo files and upload to github?

Edit: Oops. Seems like it doesn't work. It's possible to turn the text into shapes and then save it, though.

The alternative would be sending over the font file.
anonymous
Nm then. I'll see if I have the font somewhere. I have CS2 btw.