anonymous
I've began to look at the very complicated result pages (so much stuff, some of which I don't know why it's there) and the first thing which would be easy to do is change how the links on the side look.

Side links:
Right now, the container is fixed and doesn't move when you scroll but there's no limiter to the rest of the page or an attachment to the edge. This gives the links a weird feel (like a ufo hovering above the page).

I would suggest making the container visible as a sidebar or corner and the links up a bit (links to mockups). It's quite subtle but make the links feel less like aliens.

Icons:
I would like to see some new icons for the side links and maybe even for the zero-click info and multiple meanings message. There are sets which would look better than the current and I could possibly make a few.

It would also be a lot better to insert the icons as background images for the links instead of having a separate element.

Minor unrelated problems:
  • The icon for zero-click info is the old favicon.
  • Search for something like this and use the keyboard to select and then unselect the zero-click info. It still looks selected. (Also, the Enter key does nothing with the info selected)

(Off Topic: I haven't been able to do a whole lot during the last few days because Google disabled my email account for an unknown reason)
posted by [Old Forum mrmagical] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link

yegg
We should move this to a new topic too.

Have you figured out yet why Google shut down your account? That's crazy (and of course super super annoying). Wow, that would piss me off to no end.

> old favicon

This will be fixed shortly. I just crawled a new 6 million of them and thinking of also moving to an api that serves them and keeping mine as backup.

> select/unselect zero-click.

I'm having trouble reproducing this. What browser/OS?

> sidebar

Love these ideas. However, I'm currently exploring high level the purpose/functionality/usefulness of the side bar, and so want to wait on messing with it a lot until I figure that out.

Maybe the new thread should be first on if it should exist at all, and if it should, what should be on there.

That said, completely agree on the hanging feel and the background just didn't occur to me. What do you mean about the zero-click info & multiple meanings message? Do you mean somehow putting those into the sidebar?

As for icons, interested in what sets you like more. Also, why do you think it is better to insert as background images (just wondering)?
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Oh wow, my Google account is back. I still don't know why it was disabled (I tried contacting support, but recieved no answer). The page I got while it was disabled just said "suspicious activity".

The zero-click selection bug happens for me in both IE8 and FF3.6 on WinXP and Win7.

Detailed instructions:
1. Open https://duckduckgo.com/?q=1+2
2. Press up key (selects zero-click info, makes its background green)
3. Press down key (unselects zero-click info)

Result: Zero-click info still has a green background, but shouldn't

Anyway, I'm not sure what you want to move to a new topic. I'll make one regarding result page look and feel, get some ideas in there and collect feedback.

To quickly comment on the rest of your response:

> putting 0-click and multiple meanings in the sidebar

I think they are fine where they are. Forget it, I realised I was wrong.

> why insert as background images

More clean, just one element (making the link underline when the icon is hovered). The icon would still be on the side, of course. But maybe it's easier for you to keep them separate.
anonymous

Oh wow, my Google account is back. I still don't know why it was disabled (I tried contacting support, but recieved no answer). The page I got while it was disabled just said "suspicious activity".
You are helping Duck Duck Go, that is why Google thinks you are suspicious. ;)

posted by [Old Forum eet-fuk] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
@yegg Problem with not unselecting zero click on Safari 5 Mac OS 10.6.4. You have to manually type the plus in the search bar between 1 and 2 to achieve this bug!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous

Oops, something must have happened when I submitted my post.

yegg
OK, now I can reproduce it. the + was getting interpreted as a space (and with the space it isn't broken). Will fix.
yegg
I have the + problem fixed at http://tmbg.duckduckgo.com/ - verify?
anonymous
jepp, is fixed!
anonymous
Yup, fixed.
yegg
Cool--pushed live on main site.