yegg
That's strange that it is just in one browser.

A couple of questions/things to try:

1) If you clear your cache completely does it go faster?

2) If you go to this page is it fast?

http://duckduckgo.com/?kh=-1

This bypasses SSL (not generally recommended), but could isolate the issue to that.
posted by yegg Staff4 years and 6 months ago Link

anonymous
i've been playing with this all day and still dont know what is the real cause. i've tried removing firefox, waterfox and all addons and bookmarks, starting from scratch.
i suspect a privacy setting such as 'Better Privacy' or 'Do Not Track' may be at fault, but removing/adding them seems to be unhelpful. it could even be something to do with LSOs. i just dont seem to be able to pin it down!
i am using the 'https://duckduckgo.com/?kl=uk-en&kp=-1' as instructed, but it doesn't appear to be that.
i have obviously changed something in the last little while because, fingers and toes crossed, it appears to be ok atm. i hope the developers of Waterfox and Firefox are interested enough to check out what's happening. the whole idea of using DDG with security settings is to try to maintain a bit of anonymity, given the way the world and his wife are watching what everyone is doing on the net (and i still say, more than anything, it's because Hollywood and the entertainment industries are bribing US Congress to do so!). if it's being interfered with so as to remove that anonymity, the need for a VPN is climbing the list of needs really fast! until, that is, those services get outlawed as i am convinced Cameron in the UK is already doing! he is worse than the N.Koreans!!
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 6 months ago Link
yegg
Glad it is working better though sorry you had to go through all of that!
posted by yegg Staff4 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
i think the real culprit is 'MaskMe'. i removed that addon and things are definitely faster, basically, back to normal. when i contacted them i was told that the addon is optimised for Firefox, so to switch to that. as i had not used it with Firefox before, i dont know whether the issue would be apparent or not. however, as the intention, as i said above, is to maintain some privacy, why would i swap to a less secure browser, which only runs x86 anyway? the idea of maskme is to add to that privacy. seems bloody stupid to tell me to use a less secure browser! had no further response from the female who replied first time.

any thoughts, people?
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 6 months ago Link