anonymous
The greatest DDG feature for me is the bang syntax. I'm surprised to see no mention of it in the new page.

It seems like there's now auto-completion for that, but in my opinion choosing the auto-completed value with only up/down arrow keys seems counterintuitive, and I also expect to select it by pressing the enter key, which submits the query instead of doing that.

Also, are there plans for extending the bang syntax adding parameters? Some sites have multiple options to search from. In Ultimate-Guitar, for example, you can search by song name or artist name, but currently you can't select which one of these to use. Maybe something like
Code:
!chords (artist) Artist Name
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 4 months ago Link

anonymous
Maybe "!chords:artist Artist Name", making it easier to parse.
zac
We added !bang autocomplete (a feature from our mobile apps) to help surface !bangs even more. Currently (on duckduckgo.com), there's little mention of !bangs except in the right sidebar as, "Try this search on" which doesn't get much love as most people think they're ads or related search suggestions. Also, in the dropdown menu next to the search button but it doesn't do a good job of telling users, "there are a ton of !bangs not shown" and that you can trigger them when you type, not just as a button click.

Of course, we'd like more people to know about !bangs so if you have any ideas, please let us know!

Haven't revisited the functionality of !bangs yet but that's a cool request for times when a site's search function requires more than 1 type of input.
posted by zac Staff4 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
I think it would be really cool if you had a customizable docket of !bangs as buttons in the left margin. They would be like vertical bookmarks with an icon for Wikipedia, Free Dictionary, etc. When I clicked the bookmark button it could fill in the !bang, but they would also act as toggles for the current search. I often find myself making a search and then wanting to refine it. Clicking a bookmark with a current search open would load the results from the same search prepended with the bang, or redirect there if it's a bang that launches something. Then Duck Duck Go can also feel like a portal for multiple search services.
anonymous
Thanks for the quick reply! If you want to keep the front page simple as it is, "Learn more" could have something on !bangs and goodies. A link that says something in the lines of "Search sites using !bang syntax". Or you could place a tip somewhere that says "type '!' to search in a site", as auto-completion appears automatically. If I have any better ideas I'll let you guys know!
anonymous
As a side note, the !safeoff icon is hilarious