MildMallard
Yeah I suggested this a few months ago.
The problem is, unlike a search engine, an email host requires storage space... at a cost. Without email ad revenue it's basically impossible to not lose money.

What I'm doing is using a Raspberry Pi with ArcOs.

It cost about 35 dollars and I've got my own personal cloud hooked up to my router. :)

In data storage (email, dropbox), there are no free and private hosts. You should just store your own information. It's private, safe, secure, and the NSA can't see it.
posted by MildMallard 4 years and 1 month ago Link

anonymous
MildMallard,
First, Thank You for such a Great Search!

And once again, D-Mail comes up...

Yahoo charges $19.95 a year for their paid email service.

Man, there has got to be a way to do this. I would would pay DuckDuckGo $30.00 a year, for a traceless, NSA-less email service.

DuckDuckGo has Exploded among search users. I think it safe to say that anybody who uses this search engine, (and the complete platform as I do), would have No Problem in paying you for a secure email service. I'd even be willing to bet that Hush Mail would be open to such an idea of a partnership with you.

The main thing is , is to be able to keep it light weight, leaving hardly any footprints.

I do hope you will reconsider. Net neutrality is of the utmost importance. If it is destroyed or modified to cater to the big dogs, then where will that leave you?
Take the plunge Man, don't get shuffled back to the short bus and the slow bandwidth train.
Keep hold of your impressive ethics, but turn this into a Big Dog,
or (Big Duck), whichever suits you better.
Please do not get left in slow bandwidth limbo when the Gooberment finally shuts down Net Neutrallity, as we all do know it is only a matter of time before they cave in to the whore Google's money.
(sorry for the bad word), it is the best description though.
$30.00 a year is not much to pay for your brilliance.

Sincerely,
GeoThom

Thanks Again, Man.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 1 month ago Link
Aramith
While Dmail might not be top of DDG's agenda DDG did (through the 2014 Open-Source Donations) donate cash to Mailpile (https://www.mailpile.is/) which is still in alpha testing at present but worth keeping an eye on.
posted by Aramith 4 years and 1 month ago Link
Ramez
Totally agree.. Dmail is an awesome service that DDG would provide to users even if not being free, people who care about their privacy can donate some bucks to keep their private mail in a life.

although it's not expected to see Dmail soon I'll stick with MailPile waiting for it's first beta in the next July~augest.
posted by Ramez 4 years and 1 month ago Link
MildMallard
Mailpile is just an email client, right? Like they don't actually host a server.
posted by MildMallard 3 years and 10 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 10 months ago
x.15a2
Yes, Mailpile is an email client:
Quote:
Mailpile is an email client used for encrypting/decrypting emails and not an email service. Mailpile does currently not issue its own email accounts/addresses. You can use your existing email address on top of Mailpile. If your existing email service stores your emails on their servers, then they will not be able to read the encrypted emails. The Mailpile client is used for sending/receiving, managing, organizing and storing emails on your computer/USB/cloud. [\quote]
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 10 months ago Link