Aramith
I guess many of us came to DDG for many different reasons, the reason I came looking for a new search engine in the first place was because of auto recommend/completion, It franky fk's me off.
To see it here now makes my teeth itch, the default should be OFF, if people want it it should be applied via their personal settings.

That's my two penneth worth.
posted by Aramith 4 years and 4 months ago Link

anonymous
I hate the word "hate" but I hate this new format anyway. I have Startpage as my homepage but was almost ready to stop using it entirely because I loved the old DDG. When I went to use it yesterday, I saw this new stuff and thought something was wrong with my computer.
I don't even allow my browser to give me suggestions when typing in the address bar...I don't like that.
No need to say much I guess except that now I will definitely look for a different search engine because you've almost totally ruined the one I enjoyed. Sorry!
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 4 months ago Link
buckeye
i hate that people look at the defaults and find minor things to hate then drop hate posts instead of just adjusting the settings to the way they like it

if you don't like autocomplete turn it off
posted by buckeye 4 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
It being the default is against some basic philosophy of DDG.
Autocomplete bubble the user in "what is the most searched"
anonymous
Indeed, auto-complete is essentially path-of-least-resistance bubbling. It wouldn't be so bad, but I've noticed I have to reset the setting to "classic" etc every time I restart a browser or computer. The settings don't seem to be saving. This is on multiple computers.
anonymous
Oh come on, this "bubbling" that DDG now does is annoying. I just searched "ebay hackers", without asking for !news or anything, and I get three pages of pure news, then actual search returns. Stop it! Bad DDG!

Is "Instant Answers" the bug/feature that's doing this? Why would I want that, if it was?

Nope. How do I turn off the "targetted" returns?