yegg
Thanks for the feedback and sorry to hear you are having issues with the new site! Here's some background info on your numbers:

1) Unfortunately not many people used the drop down and everything you used it for can be achieved by adding to your search query (without any clicks and without auto-suggest, which you can turn off in the settings). It was simply a click-way to access bangs, but those are all typeable as well. We would like to find a better way to expose bangs that most users see and use, but that one was not getting it done. We are still exploring a better way and plan to do something in this area in the future.

2) You can customize this format completely in the settings to your liking. Try the retro theme and making results wider and smaller in particular.

3) We are thinking of ways to be able for you to jump into grid view, but haven't had a good solution yet. Note if you haven't seen grid view, click on the icon in the upper right of the image strip and it will expand to fit your screen.

4) There are dozens of tabs and ultimately we hope 100s. They are not all relevant to each search, and we're trying to show the ones that are relevant. More and more should appear over time.

5) What browser is it not working for you in? This is a bug we should fix. In any case though you can turn it off and use settings to make it look more like the old site.
posted by yegg Staff4 years and 1 day ago Link

anonymous
Regarding point 2) and font size, one thing that needs to be fixed in Settings is that the "Medium" size is actually larger than "Large (default)" for some reason. Also, it would maybe be nice to have an option to condense the text/layout, rather than change the font size. When it comes to how many results fit on a page, I don't really think the font size is an issue, it's more a result of the spacing.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 1 day ago Link
anonymous
I have a problem with number 4 on the list. You're basically deciding what is relevant rather than letting users decide for themselves. There will be cases where you either end up with too few tabs and miss the ones the user actually wanted or having too many tabs and cluttering the page (a big problem on mobile devices).

Why not just let the user customize which tabs always show up on the top page? They can always change it later if they don't like the mix. People setting up a fixed set of tabs plus !bangs for the tabs they use infrequently just seems like a better system.
anonymous
Hi everyone,

The drop down menu was more intuitive for basic users and I don't think it disturbs the geeks (who prefer bangs I'm sure !).

Thanks for your job.
anonymous
Though you people do a great job :)
anonymous
Hi - agree & lament the move away from intuitive to a struggle to work with. Loved the DDG principle but if they make it so hard to use then what's the alternative?