x.15a2
If they approach DDG and say, "We want your data", all that DDG has to do is say, "Fine, we have no data to share". No personal information is collected or stored, so there's nothing to share.

posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 11 months ago Link

anonymous
It's also about location too. But this is the best DDG can do for now. I'm sure even my traffic that heads to europe passes through the US.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
You honestly believe that? The NSA decide they want data from DDG so they approach them and they say "Sorry we don't have any"? So you're saying you suspect the NSA will go "Oh Ok.. let's try elsewhere so"? Hardly. They will force them to collect it, put a gagging order and fine them if they don't comply. The lavabit case comes to mind.. you can claim there's no data to record or you don't have access to it but that won't go very far.

As long as DDG is incorporated in the USA or has servers in the USA you may as well use Google - it's a false sense of security/privacy/anything else
buckeye
Quote:
You honestly believe that? The NSA decide they want data from DDG so they approach them and they say "Sorry we don't have any"? So you're saying you suspect the NSA will go "Oh Ok.. let's try elsewhere so"? Hardly. They will force them to collect it, put a gagging order and fine them if they don't comply.
that is some interesting speculation but only speculation

by the way where in any of the ddg help or information files do you find information saying that they will safeguard you from the nsa? i have read through quite a bit and the information says that they do not track you and do not share your personal information like other search engines do but they are clearly talking about not letting your search information into the hand of other corporations for the purpose of tracking you for profit

Quote:
As long as DDG is incorporated in the USA or has servers in the USA you may as well use Google - it's a false sense of security/privacy/anything else
have fun with that
you are clearly making a case based on conjecture and speculation
posted by buckeye 3 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Clearly based on conjecture? The evidence is already there to see - if your company or servers are US based you bow to the demands of the NSA or you will be crushed. Yahoo fined $250,000 per DAY for not cooperating, lavabit chose to shutdown rather than co-operate. There's no conjecture or speculation about it, this is the way it is. Don't be so naive
x.15a2
Yes, I honestly believe that.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
and then NSA goes to Amazon and gets all of the data from them, since DDG runs on AWS servers ;)