anonymous
I think maybe it's the wolfram alpha integration that's broken? I'm not sure but it's pretty frustrating as a lot of the useful, intelligent responses from ddg are dependent on wolfram alpha.

On the plus side most of the time adding !wa to the end of those types of searches will give you good answers.. by just going straight to wolfram alpha.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 10 months ago Link

anonymous
i was about to post the same, just noticed the same! i used that quite often

Gab
anonymous
That's right but still I find it much easier and quicker to have the answer right on top of the results in DDG
yegg
Unfortunately, we won't be using Wolfram|Alpha any more in the short term. The community via DuckDuckHack is actively working on replacements, however. Currency is particular is nearing completion and should be faster and better shortly! We'd of course welcome any help on the instant answer platform, which is all open source.
posted by yegg Staff3 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
what happened? it used to have a small "gap" but was great nonetheless..

thanks
anonymous
the new feature with xe.com is great! thanks for bringing back such a nice feature!!
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi Yegg,

Have you got a link to where to track this progress.

Thanks.
anonymous
Hmm, bummer. Is there any information you can share about why integration with Wolfram|Alpha has been eliminated? I really thought this was one of the best features of DDG.
anonymous
They probably had to have a deal in place with wolfram alpha every time the API was used, meaning they were paying wolfram alpha for api access.

So having contributors build an identical conversion IA made more financial sense in the long term, since they could just add features as users asked for them rather then offload it to Wolfram Alpha.

Of course I'm mass guessing and I could very well be wrong.
anonymous
in the long term will duckduckgo use wolfram apha results?