x.15a2
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 7 days ago Link

anonymous
Thanks! I missed that. As a programmer I know exactly how frustrating that can be, an API doing stuff you don't want to....
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 7 days ago Link
anonymous
The page you link to says Duckduckgo wants examples, well, I input the query, 'automatically mount disc -disk'. Results show mostly 'disk' but very few 'disc'. There is a difference, at least in english.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 8 hours ago Link
ScreapDK
Hi @RidgeCap,

I can't seems to reproduce the bug neither in Mozilla Firefox (v33.0) nor Google Chrome (v38.0.2125.104 m) on Windows 7, both with default DDG settings.

Have you customized the DDG settings?
Also, knowing what browser/OS you're running could help as well.
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader4 years and 6 hours ago Link
anonymous
I just tried the search again and only got 'disk' a couple times. It seems that I often get the undesired word, the "minus word", as a result and when I try a while later the results will be different; it happens in DDG, ixquick/startpage and of course google, which was one reason I stopped using !G. I think it must be a random bug. Those search engines seem to have the habit of skewing results when the want to and other times perform as hoped.

Web browser: iCab 5.2 - latest release. Operating system: Mac OS 10.7.5 - latest my hardware can run. Other browsers I have have available include Safari, Firefox, OmniWeb, SeaMonkey.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 2 hours ago Link
anonymous
This was almost a year and a half ago, and so far I've found no setting to disable this. I just searched "gvim visual block," and it automatically replaced it with "vim visual block." GVIM is a program, and I intended to type it as I did.

This is the primary reason I switched to DDG from Google, and now there is absolutely no reason I would use this over Google.

If you tell a program to do one thing and it does another, then that program is broken. DDG is unusable until there's an option to change this.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 6 months ago Link
x.15a2
DDG has recently changed the way that auto-correct works, allowing the user to decide if they want to use the suggested auto-correct or keep the search term as entered:
[http://snag.gy/feXEK.jpg]
Users have responded well to this change as it can catch spelling mistakes or allow the user to keep the search as entered.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 6 months ago Link