anonymous
I like yt! g! translate! and yi! bang, and bang! is not a problem for me and never use !bang. Maybe you could add parameter to the URL that will allow the use of a bang! eg. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=example+bang!&.... In my opinion, It should give you a choice to users to be able to use a bang!
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 3 months ago Link

Jag
Hi there!

We're sorry for the hassle! To be clear, we decided to do this because we:

- Wanted to stick with the "official" way of doing it which is the syntax described in https://duckduckgo.com/bang.html. (The bang! syntax was never an official thing.)
- People don't get inadvertently redirected to another website.

Adding the URL parameter is a good idea, but then we run into the same learning problem for the users: It still won't work by default.

So it's either users will learn the official syntax, or learn that there is a setting for it.

Hope that helped!
posted by Jag Staff3 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
What happened to the previous response:

> TL:Dr: No plans of ever updating this again.

The bang at the end felt much more natural and I switched to it when I found out that it was possible.

As far as I know, no other search engine uses punctuation in providing search results, so I doubt the inadvertant redirection is a common problem (especially since DDG attracts advanced users). Then again, I don't have access to any kind of real-world usage, but using other search engines has conditioned me to not expect punctuation to work.

> So it's either users will learn the official syntax, or learn that there is a setting for it.

Does this setting currently exist? I would definitely use this feature if it did.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 3 months ago Link
zac
Sorry about that! I replied to my comment there for future viewing. Unfortunately, the prediction I made back then was largely off and the amount of people inadvertently getting sent to websites has gone up, perhaps because of the !bang autocomplete introduction during the redesign earlier this year.

As for the impact, we hope(d) it will be minimal as a small fraction of a percent of queries actually use bang!
posted by zac Staff3 years and 3 months ago Link
drNinjaBatman
Aaah, this is a much harder habbit to change. A setting would be really awesome!
posted by drNinjaBatman 3 years and 3 months ago Link