anothernewphone
Just the idea of someone possibly being able to view my MySpace page right now would terrify me. That was public. Imagine the stuff you thought was private being viewable.
posted by anothernewphone Staff3 years and 9 months ago Link

TV
Imagine someone can read your mind. thats exactly how i feel while typing on G.
posted by TV 3 years and 9 months ago Link
toothy557
Yeah, I started getting creepy vibes which eventually became too great for me to neglect any longer. That's when I decided to look for a different search engine, and I found DDG was my favorite.
posted by toothy557 3 years and 9 months ago Link
toothy557
Another problem is they CAN'T actually READ YOUR MIND, like they think they can and like they want to. I Googled swimsuits and forever after was followed by advertisements featuring women in bikinis. That's not a problem for me, but it will look questionable around your family.
toothy557
I also finally installed an ad-blocker after that (I've added exceptions for DDG). Good job Google!
anothernewphone
Ad Block Plus is great, I can just white-list the sites I want to support, and skip the rest of the junk.
posted by anothernewphone Staff3 years and 9 months ago Link
toothy557
Yeah, I often have something stored on the web for personal/archival purposes, and it's usually a trivial embarassment -- like crappy old showcase pieces which no longer represent my current ability (any old content I no longer like but want to keep for myself and appears private) -- but if it's suggested to be private/personal and turns out to be public, that's always a severe frustration.
toothy557
Now I habitually double check everything to make sure it's really private when I want it to be i.e. sign-in/out if there's no <View as other user> feature. But still, I'd never put anything which has significant value / is capital to me i.e. use GitHub's private Git server hosting. I'd setup my own codebase server on location if I were to need a code server.