seems like a no win for ddg

should the browser be based on blink or trident or gecko or webkit or presto - no matter which would be chosen people would not like the decision plus there are already lots of browsers available with these engines so what would the point be

plus they would have to support Android BSD iOS Linux OS X QNX Windows Windows Phone and IBM z/OS or people would complain

it is not just a matter of creating a browser there is constant updates and support which requires a much larger staff all for something with minimal potential payoff

i prefer to stay with the browser that i use which is well seasoned and reliable and suites my needs
posted by buckeye 3 years and 1 month ago Link

It is mentioned in the description that this will in the long run help ddg as this will create more money for the company by promoting a product (as advertisement) and this will for sure increase the company's income.
posted by JSmith123963 3 years and 1 month ago Link
I don't see how exactly this would help to increase DDG's income in the long run, honestly. The cost of doing a project like this properly would far outweigh any profits resulting from it.
Even if this project would eventually break even (which is fairly doubtful when the browser market is as saturated as it currently is), I feel that it would take too long and focus way too many resources away from what DuckDuckGo actually is: a search engine.
The Tor browser plugin would probably give you everything you're expecting out of a DuckDuckGo browser and the Tor interface is actually their main focus, not something else. If I were you, I'd give that a try.
posted by AguaBottle 3 years and 1 month ago Link
OK then how about this then, first make a browser just for Windows then if the staff members increase then slowly make start to make a browser app for other devices.
We're focused on getting search correct. Until we've got an autonomous community creating and maintaining Instant Answers, there's no reason to focus on a browser.

Historically, browsers have had terrible success with adoption rates. In the past, we've offered to back a community-created DuckDuckGo browser but nobody stepped up to do it.
posted by zac Staff3 years and 1 month ago Link
Is duckduckgo an open source, and just one other question, as you are a staff member can you actually see who is posting what if the person is 'Hidden'?