x.15a2
Welcome to DDG, thanks for the kind words and for your question. As you've already suspected, autocomplete suggestions from G for use by DDG are not available. DDG does not use any G APIs as using any hooks into G would risk the potential of the loss of privacy which is DDG greatest assets.

If you have specific search terms that aren't adequately populated in our autocomplete answers, let us know and we'll get the information to our developers.

Again, thanks and welcome to DDG!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 3 months ago Link

anonymous
Thanks for the information,but I would still like to sacrifice some privacy for better autocomplete. But does it send information even before you hit enter in Google? I understand that that is not possible in DDG itself, but do you know of some browser extension? If not, I guess, I'll have to code my own extension.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 3 months ago Link
x.15a2
Quote:
I would still like to sacrifice some privacy for better autocomplete
Yes, DDG can't make a decision like that for our other users, as I'm sure you understand.
Quote:
But does it send information even before you hit enter in Google?
That's something that you'd need to ask !G support, or determine by doing some tracing\sniffing from your system.

For my own curiosity, I entered several searches in DDG and !G (don't worry, I scrubbed all the tracking stuff when I was done!) and I found that DDG was consistently returning more results than !G was (though the results may not have been what you are looking for). I've attached a single (simple) example that illustrates what I'm seeing. I think that the Devs would be interested in samples that you could provide, which may help with improving DDG's autosuggest.

Again, thanks for the input, it is appreciated.
x.15a2
[https://i.snag.gy/oqDmta.jpg]
anonymous
Oh, wow that is actually pretty impressive! Sadly this doesn't always work for the lesser known words or searches in German for example. Weirdly enough I don't have an example for bad serch suggestions in English right now. I'll post it if I find something.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 3 months ago Link