x.15a2
To explain, tracking and history are 2 different things. History is collected by your web browser from any site that you visit (unless your are using Private\Incognito mode). This is not tracking and is not controlled by the web site.

Tracking means that web sites that you visit collect, store and (possibly) re-distribute your browsing history on their sites. DDG does not do this and does not store any information that can point back to you or your computer.

That was a pretty simplified response. For a much better and accurate explanation, please read this DDG web page: https://duckduckgo.com/privacy

Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 10 months ago Link

anonymous
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm far from an expert, but I appreciate the basic difference between History and tracking. I'm concerned about History, which if I understand your response, there is nothing DDG can do about that. For my purposes, browsing "privacy" includes the history as much as the tracking/collecting of other data. As described in my original message, Incognito mode in Chrome does not prevent Chrome's History from collecting the DDG searches I've done, even though searches done straight thru Chrome Incognito aren't collected in its History, which is why I assumed I was doing something wrong. I know History can be manually deleted, but that's time-consuming and unnecessary if I use Chrome's Incognito mode alone without DDG.
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 10 months ago Link