Question: Jitsi and duck.co's XMPP service certificate error?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 3 months ago
Hi, I recently installed jitsi and wanted to use duck.co's XMPP service so i went through the motions but when I tried to connect I got the following:
"Jitsi can't verify the identity of the server when connecting to [duck.co, _xmpp-client.duck.co]."

Unfortunately (or fortunately i guess meaning its not common) I wasn't able to find much info searching around so here I am posting. I wasn't able to elicite much of a response from the jitsi mailing list so thought I would try to duck.co forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Hello buddy,

you are not alone with this problem. I have moved to Jitsi mainly because of the top-notch level of security, they provide.
But unfortunately there is no support - no forum where one can ask questions, I mailed several questions to their dev mailing list and no reply ever... Like you are e-mailing /dev/null...
So, let's go back to the issue. I have registered at jit.si. But the server is down since yesterday morning without any explanation (hmmm, why am I NOT surprised!!). So I went ahead and register to a numerous amount of free XMPP servers - every time when I try to login afterwards, I am getting the certificate error that you are mentioning.
Initially, I thought - stay away of unverified server... But in the meantime I am getting this error on every server and I've tried at least 4 or 5 more... Also, note that not every server is suitable for calls with Jitsi - it needs to support jingle as well. I have searched for a list of XMPP jingle servers, but I didn't find such a list! Perhaps someone can help us out here...
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 3 months ago Link
Jlg
I think you are correct in using Jitsi, but personally I only use Jitsi for outgoing SIP to PSTN (legacy telephone lines). You would probably find Pidgin a whole lot less of a headache to setup with dukco.com XMPP. I'mm using it right now..

It does sound like a Jitsi specific problem though...if that's of any help.

--jlg
posted by Jlg Community Leader4 years and 3 months ago Link