Set DuckDuckGo as a search engine for the 'spot-like' search engine of Firefox OS Nightly

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 7 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 7 months ago
Hi (guys ? folks ?),
I'm going to flash my phone and use Firefox OS 2.0/2.1 with the new search bar at the top, searching in one search engine instead of giving me the choice between dozens of websites. I can use Google, Yahoo and Bing with the actual configuration and I'd like to know if I could change a portion of the source code to use DuckDuckGo instead.

Hope my problem will help.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

MyUser
If you're asking permission:
- As I understand it, all you'd need to do is change the URL and maybe some of the methods; no permission needed from DDG
- Firefox OS (B2G) is free and open-source. You can modify it any way you want to.

I'm just wondering: add search engine doesn't work?

DDG should look into that.
posted by MyUser 4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Hi,
I'm just asking for what I should write in the Firefox OS' code to use DuckDuckGo as a search engine for the quick search function. Right now, I can only use Google, Yahoo and Bing. But if nobody knows, it's okay, I'll continue to search and write here my results.

PS : It seems I found it. Just needed to have inspiration for search terms and the name of the Github repository.

I think I have to go there : https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/blob... and add a DuckDuckGo section, but I don't want to blow everything up haha
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Hello,
I'd need 2 things : a .ico file and something to write for the "suggestionsUrlTemplate" section. Does it concern API ? I'll update my phone and continue to search.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 7 months ago Link
MyUser
.ico? You mean DuckDuckGo's favicon?

https://duckduckgo.com/favicon.ico

Or you can take DDG's logo and save it as an ICO with GIMP.
posted by MyUser 4 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Sorry, I'm late. This is a good progress. I still don't know what to write about the suggestionsUrlTemplate, but I'll save yor image.

PS : just saved the favicon. I'll try to erase the white square around the red circle with Gimp, when I'll have successfully installed Mageia. Thank you very much, this is one step closer to a DuckDuckGo search within Firefox OS. Reading this now.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 6 months ago Link