URGENT!! Is this a real, serious bug with DDG?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 4 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 4 months ago
I have seen this phenomenon several times since I switched to DDG but today it's really bad.

I searched for "gold price" in iOS 7 Safari and got only one ad link back, nothing else. If i followed up with "gold", same problem. However if I close the tab and start DDG in a new tab, I get results for "gold" alone, but once I try to search for "gold price" again, I would get just one ad link again. Same for "silver price". I disabled Instant Answers but got the same problem.

In the past this happened on a couple other searches, including at least one in IE 10 on Windows 7. I thought it was an IE bug but now it's bugging me. Obviously a search engine should return results!

Could someone try this out? DDG: feel free to contact me and I can send you a video of the issue.

Update: added screen capture . [https://app.box.com/s/guzm9o3c3ydpg57qgz52]

More update: I just tried "gold price" 20+ times on a friend's Nokia Windows Phone and it did not have the above problem. So I guess it's a browser support issue?? Bad scripting?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

Jlg
Ping @zac what do you think?

I'm unsure of the answer (I have an idea as to why but don't like speculating).
posted by Jlg Community Leader3 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Also the IA should not quote gold price in Singapore dollars but should be in US dollars. Can depend on region but I traded gold before and never ran across anyone using Singapore dollar for quote.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 4 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 4 months ago
Choca
What language are you using? try disabling all addons
posted by Choca 3 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Chrome 37.0.2062.103 unknown-m (64-bit)

All extensions disabled, language English. DDG is massively broken. More often than not I get no search results at all, and when I do it's very few. Settings are also not being saved.

Sadly I've had to use Google today.
anonymous
Doesn't using Chrome for anything including DDG already expose yourself to all the spying tools of Google? I mean why bother with DDG while Chrome is already tracking you spying on you etc.???
yegg
Can everyone confirm that if you clear your settings it is resolved?
posted by yegg Staff3 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Working again for me. No need to clear my settings. Thanks for sorting it.
yegg
To anyone having this problem, can you please post your bookmarklet for settings? You can get it in https://duckduckgo.com/settings by clicking on Show bookmarkelet.
yegg
We just deployed a fix -- is it still broken for you?
anonymous
@yegg I just tried the "gold price" search on different iPads (Safari) and it worked! I did not change any DDG settings in between yesterday and today. I also tried it on Safari 7 on the Mac and it worked, too. I hope this fix solves the underlying problem. Thanks!

Now, will you please make the Instant Answers for "gold price" display gold price in US dollars? I already have both region settings set to US. It doesn't make sense to return an answer in some small Asian currency. Appreciate it.
yegg
Thanks! Glad to hear everything is working again. Will look into gold price.
anonymous
@yegg Just searched for "gold price" and it's now showing price in US dollars. Thanks. Only thing is it just says "September 2014" instead of an exact date... :)
yegg
This should be fixed now -- thanks!
yegg
Follow-up question -- were you using cloud save?
anonymous
@yegg On two of the iPads I was using cloud save (same for all my devices except...) and on third I was using local save. All three had the issue until the fix. Thanks.