Ghostery Blocking redirects from ads

0x539 0x539
Created: 3 years and 7 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 7 months ago
I've often seen, that when you click on a sponsored link in DDG Ghostery blocks the site saying "Ghostery prevented a redirect from
r.duckduckgo.com to <some site>, which is part of <some tracker>". Is this necessary in some way? Could you prevent it? In the end DDG is a privacy-focused search engine and maybe tracking sponsored ads (although not directly provided by DDG) shouldn't appear there.
Example: first ad on this page

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

Moollaza
Hi there, the redirect you're seeing is a privacy feature of DuckDuckGo. It can be disabled in the settings. Here's more information about the reason for the redirect and more detailed instruction on removing it if you'd like to: https://duck.co/help/results/rduckduckgo...

Cheers
posted by Moollaza Staff3 years and 7 months ago Link
0x539
No, I'm not speaking of the redirect function. Ghostery is actually Blocking the site that exists for tracking purposes only, e. g. "pixel.everesttech.net" if you click on this link. Ghostery complains about a redirection to a tracking site (like a beacon) which immediately redirects you to the destination site - which is basically the same the DDG redirect function does with the difference that r.duckduckgo.com doesn't exist for tracking purposes.
I'm sorry if my English isn't very good and hope I've explained why this isn't the normal redirect function.
posted by 0x539 3 years and 7 months ago Link