Settings Link Button Does Not work

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 2 days ago
Tried Safari 6.1.6 - w/o extensions, iCab 5.2 (the very latest), Firefox 32.0.2 - w/o extensions; the Settings button will not work in any of them. I suppose you'll tell me that I'm a n00b and don't know what I'm doing and I'll tell you I am a web developer and app developer and have used the Duck for a few years. Last week the button worked, now it won't. I click and nothing, no reaction at all! I have javascript enabled. I deleted cookies and tried, but no difference. I have my settings save in the 'cloud'.

Mac OS 10.7.5.

Also mention here, I hate the new interface and the new settings interface.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Thanks for your comments, we appreciate input from users of all skill levels and technical backgrounds. Our first forum rule is Be Nice and we try to abide by that rule with all of our users.

Since I don't have access to Apple OS (sorry), I just installed Safari For Windows 5.1.7 and I am getting the same results as you. I'll pass this along to the Devs immediately. Thanks for alerting us of this.

In the mean-time, to get to the settings page, use this link: https://duckduckgo.com/settings .

Regarding the new interface, you may want to try using https://duckduckgo.com/html . It is more reminiscent of the previous UI.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 2 days ago Link
brians
Can you help me understand which link isn't working? The link that says 'Settings' in the side menu that opens the Settings page? Or one of the links on the Settings page itself?
posted by brians Staff4 years and 11 hours ago Link
anonymous
The button in the upper-right corner of the search window. This button has three little short lines, where, on-mouse-over it changes and when clicked, a panel will slide open, or it used to (but now on-click is non-functional), and from there the user can change settings, etcetera.

I have backed up my cookies file so that incase you people decide to make it so I can never set settings again I will at least never have to see your red interface, at least until you change things again. ;)
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 8 hours ago Link
x.15a2
Hey brians,
It's the [http://snag.gy/sNGDt.jpg] settings button that doesn't respond. This seems to be specific to Safari in desktop\laptop environments (I replicated in Windows). I don't have and iPad\Phone to test with.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 11 months ago Link
brians
Thanks for the details, seems to be Windows only, I can reproduce and have a fix that should be going out shortly...
posted by brians Staff3 years and 11 months ago Link
x.15a2
Thanks. It's not directly stated, but I think that OP may be using iOS, because iCab is mentioned and I think that's mobile only. Sorry, I don't have access to iOS to verify that.

brians
Thanks, I tested a bunch of browsers everywhere (iOS, Android, OSX, Windows), could only reproduce on Safari/Windows. Hopefully this fix will resolve for any other environments that have issues too. We'll see...
x.15a2
I just tested on iOS Safari (current iOS version) and the button worked fine. Thanks for testing\fixing this quickly.
anonymous
The button to Settings still does not function in Safari or iCab, or any other webkit based browser I have tried, but now does work in Firefox.

Oh, yeah, and your site is 'crippled' in Omniweb, another webkit based Macintosh web browser. Omniweb cannot even 'see' the button to get to Settings, and when I use 'duckduckgo.com/settings' to access Settings, it does not see the Settings tabs, 'General', Appearance', 'Privacy'.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 11 months ago Link
x.15a2
Replicated as still failing in Windows Safari.
On the main page there is no response at all, on the results page it appears that the sidebar menu appears to load, but fails in doing so.
Buttons in https://duckduckgo.com/settings render correctly.
anonymous
The OP (me) specifically stated that the OS was/is Mac OS (X) 10.7.5.

iCab has been on the Mac since 1999 and is still actively developed. Since iCab 4 Webkit engine is used. Somehow the people one this thread have come up with the idea on their own that the OS the OP is using is iOS. On iOS iCab is called iCab Mobile.
x.15a2
Oops.
brians
Just pushed a change that I'm hoping fixes these issues. Can you test again and see if it's working now?
x.15a2
Just tested using Safari 5.1.7 for Windows and it works.

I must have caught you in mid-update because at one point the main screen was working but the results screen was not but, no matter, it seems to be working now.

I also did a very cursory check of the Settings screen and the buttons that I tested were working.

Thanks
brians
Awesome, thanks!
anonymous
Okay. I just tested in iCab, Safari and OmniWeb. The Button works in all three of these. Regarding the *OmniWeb specific* issue I mentioned earlier, this was due to my housemate using a local adblock stylesheet. I removed the stylesheet and things work well now. Thanks for your patient work.
brians
Glad to hear it, thanks for finding the bug!
anonymous
This comment has been deleted.
x.15a2
Thanks for this info. I've replicated using Pale Moon for Android.
x.15a2
I've reported this to the Devs as well.

thanks
anonymous
This comment has been deleted.
brians
Thanks for reporting. We did push a fix late Saturday night (EST) for this. Let us know if you see any other issues.