Disable autocorrect!

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 3 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 3 months ago
An increasingly irritating feature of many/most search engines is the practice of auto-correcting your searches. I find it okay with a discrete "did you mean?" suggestion below, but it should be against the law to rewrite my search automatically just to display more results. This becomes extra irritating for us that make searches in different languages all the time, a correctly spelled non-English word may be auto-corrected to an English word.

One reason I actually quit using Google is because of its aggressive auto-correct. Unfortunately it seems like duckduckgo is not so much better.

PLEASE add a feature to disable auto-correct, unless there already is one of course, if so I haven't succeeded finding the setting.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.


x.15a2
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks! I missed that. As a programmer I know exactly how frustrating that can be, an API doing stuff you don't want to....
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
The page you link to says Duckduckgo wants examples, well, I input the query, 'automatically mount disc -disk'. Results show mostly 'disk' but very few 'disc'. There is a difference, at least in english.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 3 months ago Link
ScreapDK
Hi @RidgeCap,

I can't seems to reproduce the bug neither in Mozilla Firefox (v33.0) nor Google Chrome (v38.0.2125.104 m) on Windows 7, both with default DDG settings.

Have you customized the DDG settings?
Also, knowing what browser/OS you're running could help as well.
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader3 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
I just tried the search again and only got 'disk' a couple times. It seems that I often get the undesired word, the "minus word", as a result and when I try a while later the results will be different; it happens in DDG, ixquick/startpage and of course google, which was one reason I stopped using !G. I think it must be a random bug. Those search engines seem to have the habit of skewing results when the want to and other times perform as hoped.

Web browser: iCab 5.2 - latest release. Operating system: Mac OS 10.7.5 - latest my hardware can run. Other browsers I have have available include Safari, Firefox, OmniWeb, SeaMonkey.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
This was almost a year and a half ago, and so far I've found no setting to disable this. I just searched "gvim visual block," and it automatically replaced it with "vim visual block." GVIM is a program, and I intended to type it as I did.

This is the primary reason I switched to DDG from Google, and now there is absolutely no reason I would use this over Google.

If you tell a program to do one thing and it does another, then that program is broken. DDG is unusable until there's an option to change this.
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 9 months ago Link
x.15a2
DDG has recently changed the way that auto-correct works, allowing the user to decide if they want to use the suggested auto-correct or keep the search term as entered:
[http://snag.gy/feXEK.jpg]
Users have responded well to this change as it can catch spelling mistakes or allow the user to keep the search as entered.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 9 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 2 months ago
anonymous
An exemple of unwanted autocorrection :
brrcm (replaced by brcm), both with lcalisation (France) enabled or disabled.

I use Firefox (42.0) on Windows 7.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
I think it is probably your browser, usually they have an auto correct built in it. You can probably turn it off by going into the options. I use Vivaldi beta.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Autocorrection still bothers me.
Examples:
clion warns stream print → clone wars stream print
KFileItem → filetem
dodanie nowych → dodawanie nowych
I am using kl=pl-pl&kad=pl_PL settings.
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 1 month ago Link