how does google know what I search on ddg??!!

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 3 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 3 months ago
I have been using Duckduckgo for a few months and I love it. However when I go on lets say a news site like cnbc.com, it somehow shows me ads for something that I just searched on ddg. The ads are sponsored by google adsense. How does google know that I searched for shoes on ddg??

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

Jlg
Cookies?
posted by Jlg Community Leader3 years and 3 months ago Link
jbarrett
Not cookies.

If you accept a DDG cookie, that's for settings only - your search queries are not associated with you or the cookie.

I would lean towards coincidence, but would be very interested in any other examples of this happening.
posted by jbarrett Staff3 years and 3 months ago Link
x.15a2
Unless it's cookies created by the web sites that you visit following a search (?). Possibly the sites visited use !G Analytics.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 3 months ago Link
jbarrett
Yeah, good call.

Sorry, just wanted to be clear that our cookie is for settings alone.
posted by jbarrett Staff3 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks for the response. The site did use google analytics. Since I did visit the merchant website after my ddg search, it might have stored cookies which the news site got access to. Love DDG. Cheers.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 3 months ago Link
Recharged
Obviously cookies, like what Jlg said.
Try installing Self-destrucing Cookies if you use Firefox. If you don't, that answers your question, too. Also install an Adblock software, such as Adblock Edge.
posted by Recharged 3 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
I just did a search for "electric toothbrush" at DDG which I have never searched for before. I then went to cnbc.com and went to a number of different pages. I didn't see any ads for anything related to what I had searched for.

I suspect that you had searched for that topic or went to a site on that topic, and then got tagged with a "remarketing" cookie which can last 30 days or more. It allows Google to show you ads on things they know you were interested in on sites generally unrelated to the topic of the ad.

If that doesn't seem to be it, I would look at the browser or any possible plugins you have installed as being the source.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 3 months ago Link