request for better !bang documentation + a bang to disable result URLs going through DDG

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 7 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 7 months ago
So !bangs are awesome, but it'd be cool if there was some documentation to say what the most common ones do. Or maybe just a table that lists the URL each !bang points to so you can find the one you want more easily?

Also, I can't help but noticing that all the search results redirect through DDG's servers. I understand this is to protect the privacy of those with the HTTP referer field enabled, but could you make a !bang to disable this? This would (a) make it possible to copy a search result without having to follow the hyperlink and (b) allow those with HTTP referer disabled to be more certain that they aren't being tracked.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

TV
Quote:
So !bangs are awesome, but it'd be cool if there was some documentation to say what the most common ones do. Or maybe just a table that lists the URL each !bang points to so you can find the one you want more easily?

Check this out https://duckduckgo.com/bang.html or short cut for this page would be !bang
Quote:
Also, I can't help but noticing that all the search results redirect through DDG's servers. I understand this is to protect the privacy of those with the HTTP referer field enabled, but could you make a !bang to disable this? This would (a) make it possible to copy a search result without having to follow the hyperlink and (b) allow those with HTTP referer disabled to be more certain that they aren't being tracked.

Notification system is in Settings, privacy tab.
posted by TV 3 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Ah, thanks, didn't see the alphabetised section on the !bang page before.

Re: the redirect option, I was hoping for a !bang to disable this such as '!noredir' or '!rediroff' in the spirit of !safeoff, so I don't have to log in to disable redirect.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
That said, I might still be good to have URLs as well in the alphabetised section of the !bang page, just to make it a little easier to search.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 7 months ago Link
ScreapDK
That's a good idea about having URLs in the alphabetically-ordered list. I will let the devs know! Thanks! :D
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader3 years and 7 months ago Link
ScreapDK
BTW, no date for implementation is available right now.
ScreapDK
A "!redirectoff"-!Bang is a great idea! I will put it on our to-do list. BTW, no date for implementation is available right now.