DuckDuckGo Has Been Forced on Me...Oh Yes It Has!

annaheretoo annaheretoo
Created: 3 years and 5 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 5 months ago
And looking over posts of how to get rid of it,I see that you said there were "issues"with Firefox.Well,those posts I've read were written over a year ago(mmm,),so it would appear that those issues still haven't been ironed out?..Really?
I just updated Firefox,and there it was.
I don't want it,I don't need it.
It cannot be found in Firefox,Tools,Add-ons,Extensions.Nor can it be found in Windows Control Panel,Programs,Uninstall...So where the hell is it?
Whether your program is any good or not is irrelevant at this point.The fact that it was forced on me was underhand,and as far as I am concerned,makes you untrustworthy.
Instructions to get get rid of it much appreciated.Thanks.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Mozilla has added Duckduckgo as a search option (but not the default) to Firefox, beginning with version 33.1.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/33...
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 5 months ago Link
annaheretoo
Thanks for the reply,but it doesn't address the problem.How do I get rid of it?Thanks.
posted by annaheretoo 3 years and 5 months ago Link
x.15a2
I'm not a FF user but you should be able to go to Manage Search Engines and remove it there. This is a standard FF functionality.
annaheretoo
Unfortunately,that doesn't work either..all greyed out.No option to remove.
After this,I'm thinking,"do I really need Firefox?"

But thanks for your reply.

Other ideas appreciated.:)
anonymous
Google, Yahoo, Bing & co. are "forced" from a very long time, I hope you can consider them untrustworthy as well.
Anyway, I'm not on Windows but I can remove every search engine from where x.15a2 suggested. So seems strange... are all of them greyed out to you or DDG only?
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 5 months ago Link
x.15a2
Thanks for your input. I downloaded FF last evening and tested as you did and I found that all default search engines (G, Y, B, Amazon, DDG, eBay, Twitter and Wikipedia) can be removed, except that 1 (any 1) must be kept. So, if there is only 1 search engine in the list, it cannot be deleted and the Remove button is unavailable. So, if you want to delete any particular search engine, just click the Restore Defaults button, then delete all that you want, leaving the one that seems the least forced behind.
annaheretoo
Ah,I see.
The first thing I did when I downloaded Firefox a few years ago was get rid of all the search engines.:)I found the Startpage site addressed my needs just fine.
And thanks very much for your suggestion 15a2,much appreciated.If it doesn't work I 'll let you know.:)
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 5 months ago