New User Problem With No Search Results When Opening New Tab

mentorabc mentorabc
Created: 3 years and 10 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 10 months ago
I have finally managed to nuke Bing as my default search engine in IE 11 and have replaced it with DDG as the default.

When I open my browser it now finally takes me to the DDG home page. I can search from that page with no problem and links I am taken to open with no problem, however, if I open a new tab and type a query into the address bar (there is no search box on the page) and hit enter I always get this:

This page can’t be displayed

•Make sure the web address http://pickles is correct. (Searched for "pickles")
•Look for the page with your search engine.
•Refresh the page in a few minutes.

Anyone know why and how I can fix it?

Thank you.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

TV
By default in IE 11 the address bar is also a search bar. Typing something in should automatically suggest results to DuckDuckGo. If you want to add a DuckDuckGo, simply start typing in the address bar and then click the "Add" button in the lower right hand corner of the address box.

Alternately, if this isn't working, click the gear in the upper right hand corner and select 'Manage add-ons'. Go to Search Providers, click on the search provider of your choice and make sure the box marked 'Search in the address bar' is checked.
posted by TV 3 years and 10 months ago Link
mentorabc
"Alternately, if this isn't working, click the gear in the upper right hand corner and select 'Manage add-ons'. Go to Search Providers, click on the search provider of your choice and make sure the box marked 'Search in the address bar' is checked"

THAT was the problem.

Fixed.

Thank you!
posted by mentorabc 3 years and 10 months ago Link