Possible error in the Hindi language setting name?

stuartnz stuartnz
Created: 3 years and 6 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 6 months ago
I did search for "Hindi" before posting this, if I missed it in the results, I am sorry.

selected Hindi as a secondary language when setting up my duckduckgo and noted something that seemed like an error to me. I am not a native speaker, or even advanced, but I know that the possessive agrees with the thing possessed in Hindi. The word for "language", भाषा, is feminine, so I would have expected to see इंडिया की हिन्दी rather than इंडिया का हिन्दी which is currently showing. Is this a small typo, or another example of how little I about Hindi?
Attached Files: 1
galat.jpg - Full

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

jbarrett
Thanks for reporting!

To update the setting I need two pieces of text, the language alone and a phrase describing the language and where it is spoken, e.g. for English:

"English"
"English in England"
posted by jbarrett Staff3 years and 6 months ago Link
stuartnz
"Hindi" is fine as "हिन्दी" (it is also spelled हिंदी)

"India" is fine as "इंडिया" although its official name in Hindi is "भारत" (more common in search results)

So I would suggest either

"हिन्दी"
"भारत की हिन्दी"

or

""हिन्दी"
"इंडिया की हिन्दी"
posted by stuartnz 3 years and 6 months ago Link
jbarrett
Thanks - sorry if it was you replying on twitter today, didn't mean to double up the communications channels!
posted by jbarrett Staff3 years and 6 months ago Link
stuartnz
That was my fault, although I didn't mind as there is more room to explain here. :)
posted by stuartnz 3 years and 6 months ago Link