A Couple Small Privacy Concerns

MyUser MyUser
Created: 3 years and 9 months ago
Hi,

I have a couple concerns I'd like to share:

First, duck.co seems to leave a tracking cookie behind, I'm not sure why. Could it just be the software you're using (I remember something like that in the past).

Second is Bing ads. I understand why you can't just use your own ad system. However, when you click on a Bing ad, it redirects through MSN so that DDG can be payed it's share (and so the advertiser can be charged). Unfortunatly Microsoft does not have the same look on privacy and one can be certain that one is being tracked through that.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
You're right about the cookie, there's one even if you don't login. I hope they'll remove it.

About the ads, your searches are anonymized and they don't pass the referer header.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 9 months ago Link
MyUser
I know they don't pass the referrer header. However, Bing can still track users by their clicks on ads, knowing what ad they clicked on, when and where they went. This data can be used to target more ads to users off of DDG.

I think it would be possible for DDG to create an ad system and use it with Bing but encourage advertisers to use the native one (better placement or cheaper prices perhaps). Slowly as DDG gains more traffic and prominence, advertisers would begin to advertise on DDG directly.
posted by MyUser 3 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Still waiting for a reply here, why DDG uses a cookie here even if you're not logged in? I don't like that "ddgc_web_session" cookie.
Furthermore, in EU zone you must notice the user about tracking cookies before setting them, with a well visible text, or you could have some legal issues: more info.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
The cookie is still there, I'll keep bumping this thread until we have an answer.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 4 months ago Link
x.15a2
Here's why duck.co places a cookie:

Quote:
The session cookie is currently used when not logged in as a spam mitigation tool. There is a unique token generated from a session cookie which prevents phishing of usernames/passwords. This is a tradeoff for having anonymous accounts that people spam :)

We're making some infrastructure changes so that the session cookie isn't needed as much: https://github.com/duckduckgo/community-...
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks finally for the answer. I hope they'll find a different method soon.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 4 months ago Link
JSmith123963
According to Blur and Privacyfix, duck.co doesn't seem to put a tracking cookie, I don't believe they do that, otherwise Duckduckgo will receive many complaints from users, beside where are you getting this from where they place tracking cookies on your browser?
posted by JSmith123963 3 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
I'm not saying they're going to track me, but as long as a cookie has a unique id value then you're identifyable, so you never know.
You can see your cookies browsing some menus depending on your browser. For example in Firefox, click the padlock in the URL bar -> click the more info button -> in security tab, click the "show cookies" button.
spacebar
Regarding the traffic cookie: Perhaps you have some saved setting for DDG and they need to who you are in order to present your saved setting to you?
posted by spacebar 3 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
No, I'm speaking about duck.co , not duckduckgo.com.
This community platform doesn't need settings and that cookie is present even if you're not logged in.