DuckDuckGo Social Network for family and friends

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 8 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 8 months ago
I would love to see DuckDuckGo have a private and secure social network to take the place of Facebook! I hate the thought of all our information being spied on and sold. I have already deleted my facebook account (not just deactivate it) and also my twitter account. Is that in the works or something that has even been thought of?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

weekendwarlock
Ello is the closest thing to what you are looking for. It's already has a huge user base.
posted by weekendwarlock 3 years and 8 months ago Link
Tirifto
I would like to disagree with you. As far as I know, Ello is not free software, nor transparent. So it's up to you if you decide to trust them or not, but I don't see a reason to do so.

Personally, I would recommend taking a look at 'diaspora*'. It is a free and decentralized social network. It's not as popular or hyped as Ello, but it's approach works much better for privacy and security.
posted by Tirifto 3 years and 8 months ago Link
NixKix21
Ello is the way to go. Do some research and let me know if you need a friend invite to join!
posted by NixKix21 3 years and 8 months ago Link
sebasorribas
I received an Ello´s invitation a few days ago. It looks nice so far, and there is a lot of great stuff there
posted by sebasorribas Community Leader3 years and 8 months ago Link
javathunderman
DuckDuckGo has no intention on opening a social network, the same way we have no intention of creating a browser or email service. I would personally recommend Ello, however.
posted by javathunderman Community Leader3 years and 8 months ago Link
opencode
Ello is not a valide alternative (no source, no warranty). If you want a valide alternative, you can choose Friendica or Diaspora. These social networks are federate, too. So, if you join one you can interact with contacts from others networks.
posted by opencode 3 years and 8 months ago Link
matthewmagellan
Path might be exactly what you're looking for, but of course the problem is getting your contacts onto it.
posted by matthewmagellan 3 years and 7 months ago Link