How about a search engine without ads?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 4 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 4 months ago
Offer a paid subscription where there would be no advertising in the search results. The user would go directly to search results without having to deal with sites that attempt to look like what you are searching for then charge for a service you didn't even want.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Not an Instant Answer suggestion, moved to General Ramblings section.

DDG displays a maximum of 3 ads at the top of the search results. Users are free to disable the ads in the DDG settings.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 4 months ago Link
Mallart
It used to be 1, then 2, now it's a maximum of 3? What next 4, 5 then 6?

DDG really needs to be careful on how many ads they're going to display at maximum. Instead, they focused on the quality of ads not the quantities.
posted by Mallart 3 years and 4 months ago Link
zac
posted by zac Staff3 years and 4 months ago Link
JSmith123963
I always either see no ads or only see one ad maximum.
posted by JSmith123963 3 years and 4 months ago Link
zac
posted by zac Staff3 years and 4 months ago Link
apr181
It should be free not paid!
posted by apr181 3 years and 4 months ago Link
x.15a2
The option to disable ads is free.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
I suppose it should, but everyone has to make a living. DDG is outstanding already, and they do limit ads to three per search. They allow the user to disable the ads, which is wonderful, but in the long run it's advertising that pays their bills. I'm suggesting an alternative so that their service will continue to be offered forever!
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 4 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 4 months ago
AdamSC1
It's worth noting that DuckDuckGo DOES offer a free option to turn off ads in your settings menu. However, I think it's fair for a company that creates a product you enjoy to have some advertising especially when they try and keep it relevant to your search and clearly denote it as an advertisement and unlike other engines do not track you or target it to you based on any tracked data.
posted by AdamSC1 Staff3 years and 4 months ago Link