duckduckgo going public?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 10 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 10 months ago
Is there any chance that duckduckgo will go public? i believe that duckduckgo is the future of internet search and i would love to invest.

Thanks pat

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 10 months ago
javathunderman
I personally do not work for DuckDuckGo, but I believe that there are no plans to go public in the near future.
posted by javathunderman Community Leader3 years and 10 months ago Link
Mallart
The problem with going public is that DDG will likely end up being dictated by Wall Street and not the general community that makes it where it is today.
posted by Mallart 3 years and 10 months ago Link
AguaBottle
Costco seems to be doing a pretty good job, but then again they're big enough to get away with not listening to their shareholders. I don't think DDG would be quite so lucky.
posted by AguaBottle 3 years and 10 months ago Link
NixKix21
I also don't think DDG should go public, thats when companies lose their likeability and small homey feel!
posted by NixKix21 3 years and 10 months ago Link
Myriam17
i agree!
posted by Myriam17 3 years and 10 months ago Link
Fastman
Sorry but what does it mean by 'going public'?
posted by Fastman 3 years and 10 months ago Link
AguaBottle
Going public means that DuckDuckGo would go from being a privately owned company to a publicly owned company with shareholders who all own a part of the company by way of stocks (and those who own more shares have more power over the company).
Think of Wall Street and the Stock Market.
Going public can help a lot of companies increase their capital (basically how much money they're making and how much you're worth) but then you're often under the complete control of your shareholders and your priorities become whatever makes their own shares more valuable which in turn makes them more money.
posted by AguaBottle 3 years and 10 months ago Link