Duckdrive?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 10 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 10 months ago
Is there a possibility that we will see a blowfish/AES/ssl, non-java, duckdrive in the future? Something that whips g's offering with unlimited, encrypted storage? And something that whips the NSA's butt at the same time. If they want to get in, let them work hard for those tax dollars baby!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
DDG concentrates on providing a search engine that does not track you and currently has no plans for features like online storage, email, etc.

Maybe someone else can suggest a good online encrypted storage service?
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 10 months ago Link
sebasorribas
Thanks for these options
posted by sebasorribas Community Leader3 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
What about Onedrive and Googledrive, do they respect your privacy, at least I think Onedrive respects your privacy I not sure I am just asking you.
x.15a2
In a word, no.
anonymous
That's cool, I am with you, I wish not only that, I wish Duckduckgo did more than what they do such as own an email service, make one Operating system that can run on a whole bunch of devices such as mobile, tablets and desktop (and that is open source) that have a significant privacy and security controls, make a browser etc. That way people will know more about Duckduckgo. And to make all of this stuff (that I mentioned such as making an operating system) free, promote an ad while installing the products etc.
x.15a2
I understand, because people trust DDG and would like it to expand. The best way to let more people know about DDG is for users to spread the word to their friends and family.

Remember, !G (and others) have thousands of employees while DDG has a small handful of employees. A couple of years back there was a short-lived project to create a DDG browser, but it was found that it is more productive to use Firefox (or other Gecko based browser such as Pale Moon, Waterfox, etc.) and apply existing privacy extensions.

Thanks for using DDG and thanks for your suggestions!
Zhyl
What about the option of sponsoring projects to create a branded spin? I know that DDG has sponsored the Linux Mint Project and Mailpile in the past (not sure about sync or cloud storage services) and it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask their in-house teams to mock up some themes and stylings that represent the DDG brand.

Not the same as an official release, of course, but possibly an interesting middle ground and I would say a nice way to support open source projects without taking up to much of their resources.
posted by Zhyl 3 years and 10 months ago Link