Duckduckgo browser

JSmith123963 JSmith123963
Created: 3 years and 7 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 7 months ago
Make a Duckduckgo (ddg) browser that is configured to run on tor network. Since Duckduckgo is the most appealing search engine compare to any other search engine, I wish that ddg would make a browser that not only is it good at protecting the user's privacy, it also has a minimalistic design. I am aware that ddg is a small business and does not have enough employees but make it that while the user is installing the browser, through the installing procedure promote/advertise another product, that way making the browser will in the long run help improve ddg business.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
There are several threads on these forums that discuss a DDG browser, for example: https://duck.co/forum/thread/10684/make-...

Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 7 months ago Link
JSmith123963
Ok I have seen the thread and I am with them as well on the fact that making a new browser. Personally since Duckduckgo is a very good business and they are good at protecting people's privacy, they should expand their business as this will help increase the amount of employees and the amount of money earn't and this for sure will make Duckduckgo more common.
posted by JSmith123963 3 years and 7 months ago Link
buckeye
seems like a no win for ddg

should the browser be based on blink or trident or gecko or webkit or presto - no matter which would be chosen people would not like the decision plus there are already lots of browsers available with these engines so what would the point be

plus they would have to support Android BSD iOS Linux OS X QNX Windows Windows Phone and IBM z/OS or people would complain

it is not just a matter of creating a browser there is constant updates and support which requires a much larger staff all for something with minimal potential payoff

i prefer to stay with the browser that i use which is well seasoned and reliable and suites my needs
posted by buckeye 3 years and 7 months ago Link
JSmith123963
It is mentioned in the description that this will in the long run help ddg as this will create more money for the company by promoting a product (as advertisement) and this will for sure increase the company's income.
AguaBottle
I don't see how exactly this would help to increase DDG's income in the long run, honestly. The cost of doing a project like this properly would far outweigh any profits resulting from it.
Even if this project would eventually break even (which is fairly doubtful when the browser market is as saturated as it currently is), I feel that it would take too long and focus way too many resources away from what DuckDuckGo actually is: a search engine.
The Tor browser plugin would probably give you everything you're expecting out of a DuckDuckGo browser and the Tor interface is actually their main focus, not something else. If I were you, I'd give that a try.
posted by AguaBottle 3 years and 7 months ago Link
JSmith123963
OK then how about this then, first make a browser just for Windows then if the staff members increase then slowly make start to make a browser app for other devices.
zac
We're focused on getting search correct. Until we've got an autonomous community creating and maintaining Instant Answers, there's no reason to focus on a browser.

Historically, browsers have had terrible success with adoption rates. In the past, we've offered to back a community-created DuckDuckGo browser but nobody stepped up to do it.
posted by zac Staff3 years and 7 months ago Link
JSmith123963
Is duckduckgo an open source, and just one other question, as you are a staff member can you actually see who is posting what if the person is 'Hidden'?
Sam999999
Duckduckgo could make a browser (and I personally wish they did) and I am sure they will do a great job on it, probably they would have the best looking browser, but the only problem is that their are not enough people that work for Duckduckgo so currently that can't happen, maybe in the future but not now.
posted by Sam999999 3 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
This user account has been deleted.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
this browser is the best in privacy that what matter most, keep privacy in hand don,t be fooled on ads ,as long as the ads are controlled on minimal excution of ads ,would be ok ,but as long as the ads are controlled .why because people are very cautious to click a ad incase they get melicoius software or harm the privacy........ One day it will be important to have duckduckgo on the web privacy menu . time has come to gain privacy through duckduckgo .there is no other search engines i tried........ thanks
sneezy
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 7 months ago Link
x.15a2
Just to be clear, DDG is a search engine and not a browser. This discussion is about a new browser that people could use instead of Chrome, Firefox, etc.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 7 months ago Link
Fastman
Sounds like a great idea, I totally support your idea but there needs to be more staff members in order for this to happen. I hope though this would happen in the future because I am sure Duckduckgo will make the best browser ever since they have made one of the best search engines ever (well DDG has the best minimalistic search engine), I am sure they can do the same for the browser.
posted by Fastman 3 years and 7 months ago Link