When will duckduckgo make an email service and a separate browser other than chrome, mozilla and i.e.?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 9 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 9 months ago
Google reads personal emails and sometimes hands them to the government. When your using a browser it still has some access since your using it when will these things which could become so popular happen?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

AdamSC1
It's currently not something that seems to be in the DDG agenda. Tackling search is a big problem and with limited staff and resources it doesn't yet make sense to enter into more highly competitive spaces. Maybe if the landscape continues to evolve with growing popularity in DDG services then it will be something that gets considered.
posted by AdamSC1 Staff3 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Well, I understand the infrastructure of an email service would be quite difficult, but, I would really like to see this happen in the future. A (hopefully soon) mainstream search engine keeping form with regard to its well balanced perspective on privacy. Perhaps even with PGP built in. That would be superb!
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 9 months ago Link
JSmith123963
I have actually made a similar post to your post

https://duck.co/forum/thread/12057/duckd...

And it did not go very well, basically I got bad reviews, but I am with you :) I really wish that Duckduckgo would make a browser. I am sure they would do a fantastic job at doing that :)
posted by JSmith123963 3 years and 9 months ago Link
Fastman
I remember that, I have even commented on that article.
posted by Fastman 3 years and 9 months ago Link
Fastman
It would be great to see that Duckduckgo would finally make a browser and a e-mail service that does not track users at all, but the unfortunate thing is that they have a limited amount of staff members as said in previous discussions on making a browser, but one thing I don't get, if Duckduckgo has made a search engine app for some Operating Systems, then why can't Duckduckgo make a browser?
BloggerKing
are there other lesser known and perhaps more private browsers out there?
posted by BloggerKing 3 years and 9 months ago Link
x.15a2
If you like firefox, (especially before version 29), take a look at Pale Moon. It's my browser of choice and is available for many platforms.

If you prefer Chrome, I'd suggest Comodo Dragon.

In either case, you will still want to use various extensions to help assure your browsing privacy.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 9 months ago Link
x.15a2
PS, the above are my personal preferences and should not be interpreted as the opinions of duckduckgo.

Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 9 months ago Link
Fastman
In any case you don't want to use another browser but want to continue using the very know browsers such as Google chrome, Firefox or Opera, I would recommend using browser extensions such as Zenmate (VPN), Pirvacyfix or DNT+ or Ghostery ( those all extensions pretty much eliminates tracking cookies and tracking).
Sam999999
I have a question to ask about Google Chrome as a browser, is it safe to use Chrome in terms of privacy as it's owned by Google?
posted by Sam999999 3 years and 9 months ago Link
Tirifto
No, it's not. As far as I know, Google Chrome automatically sends your data to Google, including anything you type in the address bar, even if you don't search for it (That's how you get suggestions from Google).

The main issue with Chrome is that Chrome is proprietary software, so it's bad software in general, and absolutely NOT trust-worthy, privacy-wise.
posted by Tirifto 3 years and 9 months ago Link
Sam999999
But then what if you didn't sign into chrome, then is it still safe, will chrome still send personal data about you to Google?
posted by Sam999999 3 years and 9 months ago Link
JSmith123963
Well I guess they some how still invade your privacy using Chrome, you could use alternatives such as Firefox or Opera (it works like Chrome in terms of functionality except it looks different). You can even use Epicbrowser that has built in privacy features.
posted by JSmith123963 3 years and 9 months ago Link