Search relevancy when searching non-English with no region enabled

yegg Staff yegg
Created: 3 years and 2 months ago
We've made some changes (we hope improvements!) in the way we handle link relevancy when making non-English queries and with no region turned on. Have you noticed? Now that you know, does it seem improved, worse, or you can't tell?

If you comment, please include in what language you're searching. You can compare it to regional results by using the toggle next to the search results and just toggle it off and on.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
The search result in German looks the same. No matter if I turn the region toggle button on or off. Is this good or bad?
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 2 months ago Link
yegg
Could be good -- if you compare these searches to being in the us region, do you perceive them as better?
posted by yegg Staff3 years and 2 months ago Link
jlowgren
I'd say they are better, yes. More relevant, e.g. linking to native newspaper articles.
posted by jlowgren 3 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
I think they are the same. Except one thing: if I switch to us region I suggests me immediately videos above the search result. If I switch to german or region off then there are no video suggestions.
jlowgren
At first glance results appear identical in that it shows the same regional search results, in the same order.
posted by jlowgren 3 years and 2 months ago Link
yegg
If you compare these searches to being in the us region, do you perceive them as better?
posted by yegg Staff3 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Problem in French, results are the same if I turn the region toggle button on or off. It's a problem for me to search french informations now.
sebasorribas
Hi!!! Great news!! My experience is that when I toggle on the regional results (Argentina) I still get better results. But No Region show me good results too, for example Wikipedia Article (when I search cities or personalities) are shown on both search.
As other users told, regional searches show links to native newspaper and news sites, and that´s a plus.
So I think I´ll keep using regional results
posted by sebasorribas Community Leader3 years and 2 months ago Link
sebasorribas
So if you wanted to show better results despite mantain the regional filter off, I think you have succeeded. Now showing good results, including several in Spanish, in my case.

Another thing ... when I look for some personalities with the filter off, it gives me great
video interviews as a result. But when I activate the filter, these videos do not appear
posted by sebasorribas Community Leader3 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
I encounter the odd issue where if I search for C# related items, like "C# enum" or "C# event handling", I get the Russian version of msdn.microsoft.com, and the sometimes the Russian version of other websites. I'm not sure if it's related, but it happens mainly when no Region has been selected.

It's not a major issue, because it's the correct page, but I always have to switch it back to English. This has happened very often recently, and there's nothing about my geographical or IP-geolocated region that would indicate Russia, nor my browser settings. I've never left the NorthEast US.

-Dave
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 1 month ago
floey
I've had the same issue sometimes even when US is set as both region and prefered language. It might have to do with the fact that the search "C#" is also found on the Russian page version. When I search C# in general the first answer I get is the Russian version of the wikipedia page.
Might have to do with "Partnership with Yandex." It is a Russian Internet Company.
posted by floey 3 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
I don't see a difference in Portuguese.

I would expect to see results in Spanish as less relevant when I choose the region as "Portugal", and from Brazilian sites as well. Without region it makes sense that they show as well, especially PT-BR.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 1 month ago Link
tagawa
For Japanese there's a very slight improvement in the results but not very noticeable. A bigger difference is the fact that titles are truncated in regional search. Not sure why - the global untruncated titles are fine:
[https://imgur.com/LZ0pZ3b]
posted by tagawa Staff3 years and 1 month ago Link
tagawa
I see this has been fixed now - thanks.
posted by tagawa Staff3 years and 9 days ago Link
alexander95015
When I search in Chinese Traditional (Taiwan), the results seem to be quite a lot better when I turn the region on. I am noticing a tendency for it to interpret the Chinese characters as Japanese Kanji and therefore returning Japanese results.
posted by alexander95015 Translation Manager3 years and 1 month ago Link