Search by country

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 4 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 4 months ago
It would be really handy if a search could be limited to a specific country. Just searched for 'small box brass fittings', found just what I wanted - but alas in the US, and I am in the UK. Mild frustration.

I like a search engine that does not save my doings on the web - not that they are very interesting - BUT they are mine!

Thank you,

Roger,
Over and Out.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

MyUser
There's a small icon labled "Region" to the top right of the results. Click it and select a country from the list that pops up. It can then be disabled and enabled using the switch that will appear next to the icon.

Cheers, and good luck.
posted by MyUser 3 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
This 'switch' is driving me nuts. It does not hold! I have the UK region set by default. I search for something, don't get the results I expect so use the switch to turn the region off. The page refreshes, then refreshes again turning it back on again! I've cleared settings, cookie et al but to no avail.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 4 months ago Link
MyUser
If you want to change your region permanently, go to Settings (https://duckduckgo.com/settings) and change your Region setting (right at the top).
posted by MyUser 3 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
I've done that and the results are fairly random. still get stupid amount of US results which I really don't want in the UK.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 3 months ago Link
tagawa
A quick workaround is to add "domain:uk" to your searches but it's not perfect as it excludes .com results.

I agree the regional search could be improved though, for example searching for "football" with the region set to UK.

I've reported it using the "bad relevancy" form:
https://duck.co/feedback/relevancy/-
posted by tagawa Staff3 years and 3 months ago Link
tagawa
Been looking into this and I actually got better results by adding "region:uk" to the search query, so worth giving that a try. For some reason it's much better than just switching on the region setting for UK.
posted by tagawa Staff3 years and 3 months ago Link
tagawa
Looks like the devs have been working hard - setting the region to UK now gives the kind of results I expect so no need for "region:uk".
posted by tagawa Staff3 years and 2 months ago Link
tagawa
I was wrong - the results only seem to be region-specific if you search with the browser's search box. Using the DuckDuckGo website search box still returns non-UK results so I recommend adding "region:uk" (or whatever) until it gets fixed.

Bug reported, by the way.
posted by tagawa Staff3 years and 2 months ago Link
tantanchen
I agree! Where's the vote up?
posted by tantanchen 3 years and 3 months ago Link
psicoterapia
Its strange. DDG have the region of Cataluña in Spain but dont have UK... lol
posted by psicoterapia 3 years and 2 months ago Link