Please consider giving users the option to disable or remove the animation in the DDG homepage

Mallart Mallart
Created: 3 years and 9 months ago
Please consider implementing an option to allow users to disable/remove the animation (highlighted in red) in the DDG homepage.

It can be distracting when one is trying to contemplate their thoughts for what to type in the search box. I use the main page (not the internet's address bar) for typing in query because I utilized the URL parameter and set it as my home page.

[http://i.imgur.com/jivE4Pb.jpg]

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
https://duckduckgo.com/html
https://duckduckgo.com/lite

or, use your browser's search field for your DDG searches and bypass the homepage completely.

That said, it is important for any web site (including DDG) to reach out to all users and explain the features and benefits they have to offer. Unfortunately, regardless of how unobtrusively the information is provided it will not be to some users liking.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 9 months ago Link
Mallart
I understand the part about reaching out to users and explaining the features, benefits and so on. However some of us has gotten beyond that stage.
As for the browser's search field, I should have mentioned that my browser is set to reject all cookies. That saying, the URL parameter as my homepage is the only way for me to search with my configurations saved.

Plus, If they allowed us to remove 'how to add it to your browser' sign, I'm sure they can do the same for the animations.
posted by Mallart 3 years and 9 months ago Link
AguaBottle
While I personally don't find it all that distracting, I agree that having the ability to remove it like you would the option to set DDG as your default search engine seems like a good idea. A simple 'X' to have it removed should be simple enough.
Although, they probably want to avoid doing that as I'm sure there are plenty of people who would see that they have the ability to remove it and then do so without actually seeing what it has to say.
If that is the case, having the option hidden deep in the settings somewhere is still a possibility and I'm sure it would lower the amount of people who remove it before reading it.
posted by AguaBottle 3 years and 9 months ago Link
zac
We're thinking about updates for this--sorry for any annoyance.
posted by zac Staff3 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
I would like this to go as well. I don't feel like "letting people know" takes priority over the fact that this feature is distracting
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Sorry for the resurrection of such an old thread, but I am currently a bit lost because of the behaviour of these HTML DIVs in the marked area.

I am currently developing a special browser which is solely controlled by eye-tracking and as part of this browser I have to analyze single elements of websites like DDG. At this point, I am trying to retrive all <A> / link elements, by using a MutationObserver in Javascript. It works really well, but only on DDG it's not able to detect the links in this red box plus links in your search results. I haven't encountered such behaviour on any other page, so I am trying to get some help here. ;)

Any developer here who could tell me why the MutationObserver isn't called for appending of the DOM elements containing the links? Or any suggestion where to find such a kind-hearted developer, who might take some time and help me? :)
Thanks!
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 4 months ago Link