Turn ads off by default

Gryllida Gryllida
Created: 3 years and 4 months ago
I asked several users and they all dislike the sponsored links. Can we please default to not doing it?

(This is actionable, someone please move it to the IDEA section of the forum. I keep trying to find it but I don't see it.)

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Your post in is the correct section of the forums, the other area is for Instant Answer suggestions which does not fit the content of your post.

As I'm sure you know, ads are part of DDG's revenue stream. This revenue is necessary for the cost of doing business which is not free. Unlike most web sites, DDG gives it's users the freedom to disable ads. DDG has a maximum of 2 ads per page and each ad it targeted specifically to the search parameters of that search, there's no tracking and no bubble ads.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 4 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 4 months ago
thobby
I feel like dedicated users at some point go into set up to change appearance prefs etc and the turn off adds if they desire. It takes a few seconds, and only once if you save your prefs. I personally find the DDG ad format to be really non invasive however. Having it on as default made me aware how non intrusive they are - and so left them on. If they had been off as default I never would have realized this.

I find having the option to turn them off really civilized.
posted by thobby 3 years and 4 months ago Link
tagawa
Many websites only let you turn off ads if you pay for a premium account so I think DDG is already generous in allow users to turn them off for free.

I'm sure they'd prefer to not have to show sponsored links/ads by default but the way they currently do it is fine in my opinion if it means they can keep funding the service they provide.
posted by tagawa Staff3 years and 4 months ago Link