Instant Answers design: emphasize more on the service provider

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 6 months ago
Hi,

I just searched something that (once again) gave me a Wikipedia instant answer.
And, once again, I was, for a split second, a bit confused about it : before clicking it, i'd like to know what the link is, but I really think the small "More on Wikipedia" is not clear enough.
Displaying a bigger logo would be great.
If you didn't want to do so to avoid publicity, I think it's a humble reason, but not really valid : the main concern should be the quality of information given to the end user. Thus, making sure he knows what he's clicking on seems to me to be a priority.
I want to know what I click on. And if I don't, I know that my parents won't ever know what they've clicked on (and I'm not even mentionning my grand-parents).

This is specially the case for Wikipedia, as it is widely used for Instant Answer, but it should apply to all instant answers that link to a specific service.

The final design should try to avoid the "advertising/publicity" style, but still it should put more emphasis on the origin of the information, and the direction of the link.

I hope this comment reaches somebody in charge somehow :)

(Sorry for the bad english, and as always, cheers and thanks for the good work on DDG).

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
As you said, both the logo and "More at Wikipedia" are there already, so I think it's just an accessibility issue. You can configure your settings to display bigger texts here, that should help a lot.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Thank you for the answer, but no, it's a real design comment.
The logo and text are too small, and the link itself could say, for a "unity" search example : "Wikipedia.org : Unity"
or
"Unity at Wikipedia.org"
buckeye
I would vote against this because the current layout is self-evident and larger logo and text would be bulky looking on the screen
posted by buckeye 3 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
I think you may be right about the logo, but I must insist about the text :
Having a text that shows your search result without precising what it links to is not the clearest way of designing the InstantAnswers.

Showing "Wikipedia : Unity //game engine" instead of "Unity //game engine" as it is now would be much better.
anonymous
I kind of agree with this proposal. I don't think we indeed need a bigger something, but a URL diplayed would be great. Most of us (well... I) who're using DuckDuckGo probably became completly URL-paranoid. I came to trust the instant aswers, but it took me a while (the time to disgoogle myself).
It's really good to see that there is no fake URLs with ads embedded inside (our exact request with our typo is in the URL WAW so great!) or some strange parameter used for tracking-I-dont-want-to-know-what, or some 40-mile redirecting stuff which just sent 10 years of your life to someone's server.

I'm using the mouseover to see the full URL, but having it displayed directly inside the frame would be a must so that we can see the full source. Why not an add-on? (sorry I can't do it myself, my codes can't be trusted at all).