DuckDuckGo Phones

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 2 years and 10 months ago • Updated: 2 years and 10 months ago
If you have decent funding, you guys should create a DuckDuckGo mobile phone series. Maybe called something like DucklingGo 1 or DuckPond HD. Those are just suggestions. If Google make phones that track your every move, then you could make a private mobile brand. Maybe SafeDuck Pro?
I don't know. I would just like a reliable, affordable phone that I would trust. It would make lots of money and you won't regret it!
Attached Files: 1
webcam-toy-photo1.jpg - Full

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Sweet picture! However, DuckDuckGo is dedicated to search and so we have no plans to create a phone (or a browser, email, cloud storage solution, DNS server, etc.). Our company and community is focused on creating and maintaining Instant Answers to power a better search experience. If you'd like to get involved there, we'd love your help.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 10 months ago Link
CARSONSIMON
Related to the phones, could there be an app for DuckDuckGo? I thought it would be cool so you don't have to be constantly opening up safari
posted by CARSONSIMON 2 years and 10 months ago Link
JSmith123963
Yes there is already an app for Duckduckgo
posted by JSmith123963 2 years and 10 months ago Link
x.15a2
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader2 years and 10 months ago Link
ismab2013
Hello all,

For the official Apps for Android or iOS go to:

https://duckduckgo.com/app/

For the official App for Windows 8.1 go to:

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/es-es/app/d526ba1b-a065-4cb9-a6c6-bf30f6123e2b

And for the UnOfficial Apps for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 go to:

https://duck.co/forum/thread/11964/unoff...
posted by ismab2013 Translation Manager2 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
not such a bad idea
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 9 months ago Link
Fastman
How about this, somewhere on Duckduckgo's homepage, show a voting system of the people who want this operating system, and allow the user to vote if they want the operating system to be developed.
posted by Fastman 2 years and 9 months ago Link
Sam999999
Exactly I would like it if Duckduckgo could have a voting system, though instead of making a phone operating system I would like it if they would make a desktop operating system with the best user interface.
posted by Sam999999 2 years and 9 months ago Link
JSmith123963
I wish that Duckduckgo would just simply program an operating system (maybe name it Goose OS) that is universal to many devices such as a desktop, laptop, mobile phones etc; that is exactly the same when running on any device (but maybe change the UI based on which device is being used), but I wish the operating system did not contain any restrictions (operatin systems such as Android and IOS implement this and this is always irretating) and it has privacy features such as preventing apps from collecting personal info such as GPS and contacts, and also encrypts user's data that is stored on the device.
posted by JSmith123963 2 years and 10 months ago Link
buckeye
simply? apparently no concept of the scope of such a project

if you look at other threads on the forums you will find the duckduckgo is simply a search engine and has no plans to simply create a new os
posted by buckeye 2 years and 10 months ago Link
JSmith123963
I wish there are voluntaries that could assist with Duckduckgo with making a new operating system. I wish I could help but I am not a programmer :(
posted by JSmith123963 2 years and 9 months ago Link
javathunderman
If you'd like to have secure and privacy-focused phone, I'd recommend the Blackphone by Silent Circle- only second to a theoretical DDG phone/mobile OS.
posted by javathunderman Community Leader2 years and 9 months ago Link
Tirifto
That sounds like a description of Ubuntu. They already made an OS for phones and are rewriting the desktop version to go along with it. While Ubuntu's best concern is not the users' freedom or privacy, I believe their software is still libre and that the OS can make a good candidate.
posted by Tirifto 2 years and 9 months ago Link
JSmith123963
Yeah but for one, I don't think Ubuntu and Ubuntu touch are the same operating systems in terms of application compatibility. The UI maybe similar but I am not sure with this but I think the compatibilities are different; please correct me if I am wrong. Plus I think (I am not sure once again) that Ubuntu touch might contain restrictions such as those restrictions that exists in Android and IOS, which I don't want. Plus Duckduckgo (the search engine) has the best UI, compared to any other search engines. So maybe they can create an operating system with the best UI.
Sam999999
Goose OS, I like that name and I like that concept, but I would recommend that Duckduckgo first starts making a desktop operating system then slowly ports the operating system to other devices.
MyUser
One of the things you could look into is FxOS. It's created by the Mozilla Foundation (the wonderful people behind Firefox) and it's interface is programmed with HTML, CSS and JS (same as web pages). Try https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/os....

The homescreen and default apps on FxOS are called Gaia. They can easily be rethemed or rewritten. If you want to show your support for DDG with your phone, you could change your wallpaper or completely redo it (unfortunatly FxOS doesn't come with DDG search).

I've been working on making my own version of Gaia for my own entertainment (similar in style to Apple's WatchOS) and it's quite easy to do. If DDG were inclined to make a phone it could change a bit of Gaia, add DDG search, add some apps to employ DDG search, IAs and XMPP, then distribute them on phones.

FxOS is Linux and Gecko based (Gecko's the graphical engine behind Firefox).

Hope I've given people ideas,
Cheers,
MyUser
posted by MyUser 2 years and 9 months ago Link
Fastman
I like that idea, I am with you :) I would definitely like to see something like this. But Duckduckgo has the capability to only make an operating system, they would find it difficult if they would make a phone as well. But I would like the operating system to be not based on Android though.
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 9 months ago
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 9 months ago
psicoterapia
Im impressed with duck duch go. Shut up and take my money lol
posted by psicoterapia 2 years and 9 months ago Link
JSmith123963
I love Duckduckgo too but I wish there was another department that handles programming such as making an operating system.
Sam999999
I love Duckduckgo, they have a very good search engine. But the sad thing is that it is not a huge company like Google, so I don't think they can afford a manufacturer to make Duckduckgo phones. I wish though they would make a desktop operating system then later, port the OS to a phone. Because I will be willing to use Duckduckgo operating system on my computer over Windows 10. Please Duckduckgo, please make a desktop Operating System, I will be sooo willing to download and use it.
benrob0329
Just throwing this out their, the guys at INNOVTION-Plex (innovationplex.com, that includes me) are going to make either an OS or just a DE for Linux. I have plans to have DuckDuckGo somehow embedded into the system (music, web search, video search, quick answers). Not shure how quick we'll get it coded, but we're figuring out basics right now. Any suggestions are welcome.
posted by benrob0329 2 years and 9 months ago Link
JSmith123963
If you are planning to make a Duckduckgo OS, then are you going to make a mobile phone version or a desktop version or both?
benrob0329
Planning on both with a 'scaling GUI'. BTW the programming language of choice (for me, there are two other people in the project) is D (get it, 'D', like DuckDuckGo?)

It wouldn't be 'DDG OS', it would be an OS with DuckDuckGo embedded into the system. So, like you could search for 'Gods Not Dead Song' and if you didn't have it on your computer, it would offer to play it off of SoundCloud without having to open your browser.
JSmith123963
For one, are you really going to make a duckduckgo operating system, if you are then could you take some of my suggestions:

While making the same operating system for both devices (for desktop and for mobile phone) please, please do not omit any features between the mobile phone version and the desktop version (for example adding restrictions to the mobile version, but keeping the desktop version, restriction free; this is what Windows 10 does between the desktop version and the mobile version). And also make the phone version and the desktop version exactly the same (but off course modify the UI).
benrob0329
Thanks for the suggestion, it's the first one yet :-) . It would be an entirely open source OS.
Fastman
How about this, make an operating system that is fully based on Duckduckgo. And also include all the privacy features such as free VPN trusted proxy, automatically encrypts data on the hardrive, and also please have a really good, minimalistic UI to the operating system. And also try and make as fast as possible (and try and make it faster than Windows 10).
benrob0329
DDG isn't nearly a coad base enough to base an OS on. Not to mention ot would run incredibly slow. It's an awsome search engine, hands down. But basing an OS entirely on DDG would simply not work.

I still would like to embed it into the system UI though.
Sam999999
Please have all the privacy features available to it such as trusted free VPN (and make it unlimited data usage), and also please do not include any restrictions such as those restrictions that exists in Android, IOS and Windows phone. Also please try and make it faster than Windows 10 and please give it a very good UI (make it look like Duckduckgo).
benrob0329
It would be a desktop enviroment for Linux, so all of the Linux security features would be there. We will try to make it as lightwait as possible that way it will run fast.
Sam999999
What is desktop environment?
benrob0329
Whatsup
For one, can you please give me a link to where it shows this operating system's development. For two I have some ideas. For both the desktop and mobile OS can you please make the icons look like these pictures that I have uploaded to Google Drive (note these pictures are not owned by me nor did I create them, I got them from playstore).

Here is the link for the images:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0...
posted by Whatsup 2 years and 9 months ago Link
benrob0329
Not shure what it will look like yet, we are still trying to figure out the basics of how we are foing to do it. I will get a blog post to start out with for sugestions as soon as I can.
JSmith123963
Can you please let us know when this blog is available and can you also provide a link to that blog site, Thank you :)
Whatsup
Here is one suggestion, I will only use the phone operating system only if it DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY RESTRICTIONS compared to other mobile operating systems such as Windows phone, IOS and Android. Please do not include any restrictions to the OS, please I am sick and tired of having of being limited to what I can do to my phone. You can have restricted USER PROFILES but please do not implement any restrictions to the operating system.
posted by Whatsup 2 years and 9 months ago Link
JSmith123963
Same here I hate the fact that operating systems have to have restrictions.Here is one idea though, why not have Admin users and Standard users, where admin users are users that can do anything to the operating system without being restricted. For Standard users have restrictions for them, so they can't do certain things or perform certain actions.
Fastman
Is the project called 'Project: Unidentified'? (here is the link:

http://www.innovationplex.com/announcing...)
benrob0329
Yes, that is the link.
benrob0329
Can we move the discussion over to the comments on the blog post?