I've crossed over

spacebar spacebar
Created: 3 years and 6 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 6 months ago
I just wanted to let DuckDuckGo and everyone at the community here know that I have completely conquered my habit of relying on Google search, and DuckDuckGo (among other non-tracking search engines, but primarily DuckDuckGo) was a big part of making that happen.

I don't feel any sense (as I did for a while) that Google is providing me with any better search experience or results. When searching I have no compulsion to check Google anymore to see if I can come up with a better search result there.

I am as comfortable using DDG now as I once was using Google...I could go on about all the things Google did to drive me away - the tracking and the too personalized search results to name but a few - but I'm sure this community is well-versed in all the pitfalls and drawbacks to using Google's various services and products.

So thanks for providing a search engine that I like and just feel more comfortable using.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

9pipbubbles
I became like that after I found out that google stalked my searches too.
posted by 9pipbubbles 3 years and 6 months ago Link
spacebar
This is starting to sound like a Googleholics thread.

"My name is Scott and it's been 2 months since my last Google search..." lol.
posted by spacebar 3 years and 6 months ago Link
ScreapDK
Hi, and welcome to the community! It's great to hear you like DuckDuckGo.
If you have any questions feel free to send feedback, or check out the help library.

Best regards,
Casper
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader3 years and 6 months ago Link
spacebar
Thanks, Casper. No questions as of yet, just a very happy DDG user these past few weeks. :)
posted by spacebar 3 years and 6 months ago Link
benrob0329
I think that I get better results with DDG than I did with Google!
posted by benrob0329 3 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
I completely agree on that.

In my opinion DDG is more precise and focused on what are you really querying for.

It is my unique search engine since January.

Moreover, the bang feature helps me to switch directly to the websites I am looking for (e.g.: maven, github, stackoverflow).

Best search engine ever!
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
Please help, since using DDG I've developed the dreaded G.A.S. (Google avoidance syndrome.)
I so miss the days when I clicked through three pages of commercials, misdirections, irrelevant sites, half page ads, and redirects to find even the most basic of requests (on a good day.)
I now have to deal with the frustration of finding results much too quickly for my Google conditioned brain to process, not to mention the unnaturally clean no-nonsense format.
It's threatening to make the whole internet experience enjoyable, like it was back in the day. It's positively scary, what can I do?
x.15a2
HaHa, that's a great testimonial!

Don't worry, you'll get over it and soon !G will just be a horrible memory!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 6 months ago Link
ElectricCraze
Me too! I never use google anymore, it's history. Except gMail... DuckDuckGo should make an email server...
posted by ElectricCraze 3 years and 6 months ago Link
zac
We don't have plans of making an email service but we do make some recommendations here: https://duck.co/help/features/email
posted by zac Staff3 years and 6 months ago Link
zac
That's great to hear! Thanks so much for sharing with, and becoming part of, our community
posted by zac Staff3 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
thanks for search engine