Speech Recognition in DuckDuckGo

miller9904 miller9904
Created: 3 years and 2 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 2 months ago
Hi DuckDuckGo team, I was wondering if you've ever considered using or hosting a speech recognition engine to use in conjunction with the DDG search page. I know that Google already does this. I am just curious, and I know that this would be very difficult, having messed around with ASR engines myself. Still, if you could pull it off, it would be a great contribution to the web.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

SuperSapien
Agreed in fact they might want to consider something like Jasper.
posted by SuperSapien 3 years and 2 months ago Link
Dvarkin
You voice isn't you "personal data"? But it's nice idea. How about using built-in Android speech recognition? (try)
posted by Dvarkin 3 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
The android voice recognition works by sending what you say to google's servers, so that probably isn't an option.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 2 months ago Link
Sam999999
I want that feature!
posted by Sam999999 3 years and 2 months ago Link
SuperSapien
This would give DDG a chance to compete a little in the voice recognition technology market.
Not to mention Google and many others are mining for your data every time you use there voice recognition services.
posted by SuperSapien 3 years and 2 months ago Link
benrob0329
It wouldn't have to monitor private data, there could be "Basic Sounds" speech recognition webapp that would return something like "s-p-ee-ch r-e-q-a-g-n-i-tion" that would be optimised by the server.
posted by benrob0329 3 years and 2 months ago Link
miller9904
The University of Michigan has created some very interesting products that could be used to this end.

Sirius

Sirius is an open source personal assistant of sorts. It combines speech recognition with question answering and image matching. I'm not suggesting anything accept the speech recognition. You can learn more at http://sirius.clarity-lab.org/.

DjiNN & Tonic

DjiNN is a Deep Neural Networks (DNN) as a service and Tonic Suite is a suite of 7 applications that use the service. Tonic includes automatic speech recognition along with many other useful tools such as image classification and NLP. More info is available at http://djinn.clarity-lab.org/.
posted by miller9904 2 years and 6 months ago Link
SuperSapien
posted by SuperSapien 2 years and 5 months ago Link
miller9904
And yes, no data would have to be stored on the server, although perhaps DDG could have an opt-in option to anonymously store voice utterances and transcriptions to improve the service.
duckduckian
As I have suggested before I believe that using soundhound's voice recognition api would be really good here's a link http://www.soundhound.com/houndify .I would appreciate it if a staff member or community leader comment on this to see if making speech recognition is feasible.
posted by duckduckian 2 years and 6 months ago Link
miller9904
How does Houndify handle your data? It appears in http://www.soundhound.com/hound-privacy that they at least store your data by IP address.
duckduckian
What if DDG could encrypt all the storaged data?
miller9904
No, the Houndify algorithms need unencrypted data. Once the data leaves DDG, they have no control over how it's used. In order to maintain privacy, DDG either needs to host its own ASR server or contract with a 3rd party who will maintain user privacy.
duckduckian
Bummer...
miller9904
If Houndify was willing to contract with DDG and agree to maintain complete user privacy, this sounds like it would be a feasible option.